Friday, December 30, 2011

Spotted Phalaenopsis Orchid


Phalaenopsis Orchid

Phalaenopsis hybrid

(fay-lay-NOP-sis)

Synonym: Moth Orchid


If you are going to grow spotted flowers you might as well get one like this. It was truly an eye-catcher when this one showed upon the for sale rack at the local nursery. It was a little too expensive for me so it went to another happy home. Phalaenopsis are among the most popular Orchids and in my opinion one of the easiest to grow at home. While the new hybrids seem more adapted to home cultivation and produce more and showier flowers the basic species is easy to have and get to flower. The trick is to try and reproduce some of the same conditions that the plants like in the wild.


Since it is getting towards the end of the year I have been cleaning up my office and doing some backing up. One of the extra hard drives in my older computer (yes, I use two) seems to have frozen up. Lucky almost everything on it was backed up so it is a minor irritation instead of a calamity.

No comments: