Monday, December 26, 2011

Stella De Oro Daylily


Daylily

Hemerocallis 'Stella De Oro'

(hem-er-oh-KAL-iss)

Synonyms: ‘Stella d'Oro’


If someone asked me to name the most overused plant in the gardening world my answer would be 'Stella De Oro' Daylily. It is remarkable how it has appeared in so many landscapes over the years. Of course this leads to kind of dual situation. On one hand it wouldn’t be so popular if it wasn’t reliable and nice looking on the other hand it becomes a bit pariah for being so popular. To me it is okay with a nice warm flower color, small stature and ability to rebloom. There are just so many other nicer Daylilies to choose from but I imagine it often comes down to a question of supply (what the local nursery has). My friend was cracking me up by referring to this flower as a “ditch lily” instead of a daylily.


I hope everyone’s Christmas dreams came true yesterday. The gifts I received seemed to be a little more useful then in past years. The music store gave Karen the wrong guitar so I have to return it today. Hopefully they will still have the closeout model I wanted. Anyone that reads this blog knows I love pop princess Selena Gomez. She is just getting over a family tragedy and I wish her the best on that. I did score two Selena movies yesterday including the major release of Monte Carlo, which I think was originally going to star Nichole Kidman.



2 comments:

forgetmenot said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. The Stella d' Oro is used everywhere but it is beautiful, blooms profusely, and takes little care-who could ask for more in a flower. You have some lovely flower photos. Mickie :)

stardust said...

I love the golden yellow color. This blog is a nice flower guide.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Yoko