Wednesday, November 07, 2007

ABC Wednesday ~ Wild Sweet William

Wild Sweet William
Phlox maculata 'Natasha'
(floks) (mak-yuh-LAH-tuh)
Synonyms: Meadow Phlox, Spotted Phlox

If you are here for Wordless Wednesday scroll down to the next post.

Seems like just a couple of weeks ago I was featuring another Phlox for ABC Wednesday. This one is new to me and I planted a few of them on the advice of the person at the nursery. I was lucky they had been cut back in the summer so I was able to enjoy this blooms a couple of weeks ago. It still maybe flowering, as I haven’t seen the plant in about 10 days. Each flower looks like it was hand painted and has a delicate look about it. This Phlox grows to about 24 inches and has fragrant flowers. Why it was recommended was its resistance to Powdery Mildew (another ‘P’), which the Garden Phlox (P. paniculata) always seems to get.

I had an outbreak of Powdery Mildew in the Rose Garden last week and sure enough when I examined the Lilacs planted nearby they were loaded with it. I have never noticed it so late in the season before, but it probably has been there. I am torn about spraying the roses with fungicide or just letting them fade into the season.

The harbor at Padstow, Cornwall

Since I was reminiscing about England and in honor of the ABC people that hail from that great island I thought I would post this picture of some boats in Padstow, Cornwall .

I really loved visiting the villages and the Eden Project and even though it was the off-season we had a wonderful time. The air was a bit chilly and rainy (go figure) but the people were warm and the towns were inviting.

Like the Phlox here is a quote from Wild Sweet William:

“This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.”

William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "King Richard II", Act 2 scene 1


mrs nesbitts place

21 comments:

Raggedy said...

Very nice pictures!
Happy WW!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

don't think I've ever been to Padstow though visited other Cornish ports - a propicious portion of Ps

D. Renee Bagby said...

nice flowers

Anonymous said...

So thats what those flowers are that grow in my back garden.
Hmmm, cornwall, one of the places I'd dearly love to see.

Pete M said...

Phlox, nice plant grow them myself sometimes.

Padstow and most places in cornwall are very nice.

Hope your mildew improves

Jean M Fogle said...

I love the pretty phlox! Powdery mildew can be perpetually persistant!

kml said...

Love the purple and white of this beautiful phlox!

i beati said...

I added you to my list of favs hope you do not mind..thanks sandy

Anonymous said...

Another lovely flower, thank you!

CK Ng said...

Lovely flowers. Happy WW!

Oswegan said...

Beautiful phlox. I thought you were already on W there for a second.

I really, really like your showboat show below too.

I'll be back later, lots of long meetings today.

Cheers,

~Oswewgan

Neva said...

Ackworth with his alliteration of P's! very good...I enjoy the info you give about your flowers...lovely.

Max-e said...

Hi Digital Flower Pictures
I have really enjoyed your post. It is such a long time since we have had Sweet Williams in our garden, that I forgotten about them. Time to brighten up the garden. And as for powdery mildew, I remember it rearing its ugly head in the pumpkins when I was farming many years ago. Hope you get rid of it.
Also enjoyed the harbour.

photowannabe said...

Perfect "P" posting. Nice color and composition.

WalksFarWoman said...

Hi Chris, I felt sure I was going to encounter a dark coloured stem today so the lilac and white was a pleasant surprise. I do like Sweet Williams, a garden wouldn't be right without them.

I can't believe I've been trying to get to the Eden Project for a couple of years now and you've actually crossed that ocean to get to it before me! :)

Oswegan said...

Hey, I also wanted to tell you I love your harbor shot, perfectly framed up.

And what a great sky (unless you're a fisherman about to go out to sea).

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful wild sweet williams. I need to mark down their name on my future must need list. Oh the list is forever growing. I hope you fix your powder mildew. I don't have any advice on it since I have yet to experience it. I've never been to England but would love to see it. Well I saw one town briefly while switching planes. England is a possible place for me to live since my husband is in the air force. Maybe one day I'll get to admire what you love about England.

Unknown said...

i like the colorful images on your blog
keep them comming

web design mumbai

mrsnesbitt said...

I love the quotation, it is often one which comes to mind when I am out walking with Wilma or touring the roads from the back of our motorbike.

D

Lynette said...

I love the little flower with the wonderful name! And the quote is fantastic, as is the Wordless Wednesday photo. Vivid.

Mike said...

You wouldn't really want to be any where near Padstow in season as it's heaving with people. I spent new year there last year, enjoyed it so much I'm doing the same this year.