Saturday, November 24, 2007

White Beautyberry

White Beautyberry
Callicarpa dichotoma 'Albifructus'
(kal-ee-KAR-puh) (dy-KAW-toh-muh)
Synonyms: var. albifructus

I think I got the name of this plant right. I wasn’t sure if it was this one or Callicarpa japonica 'Leucocarpa'. C. dichotoma is hardy to USDA Zone 7 and the japonica is hardy to Zone 5. I haven’t seen either growing in Connecticut before but think I will try to get the hardier one as I garden on the colder edge of Zone 7. Some Zone 7 plants will work but eventually we get a really cold winter and that is that for them. Purple Beautyberry is one of my favorite fall shrubs as you just don’t see that particular shade of purple in the garden much.


These picture was taken at Skylands, the New Jersey State Botanical Garden a couple of weeks ago. They had about 4 or 5 of these plants and it made for a beautiful cluster of shrubs. If I had known that there were two types of White Beautyberry I would have investigated a little further trying to get an identification. If anyone knows any differences between the two plants please chime in.

9 comments:

Kilroy_60 said...

I enjoy photographing flowers, there are a ton of them in Spring, 2006 posts. That makes me enjoy your site all the more.

Hope you'll get involved in the Villagers go...Gonzo! Carnival. You should get more visitors.

Andrea said...

I have never seen this plant and berries nor have I ever heard of White Beautyberries. They are pretty.

Anonymous said...

I love my white beautyberries. We've grown them from seed as well and they do come true from seed. They are supposedly wild in Florida but we've yet to find them in the wild. We ordered one online and another from a nursery in Islamorada in the Keys. Both are beautiful plants.

Unknown said...

These are nice flowers, and again the depth of field is great in your pics, especially the first one. THe white contrasts really well with the background.

Sandy Kessler said...

So this is white always - doesn't turn white >>Ihave purple here in Fl. Love this - how pretty on a christmas tree or decoration !!! ibeati

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi kilroy, I'll check into that.

andrea, hi there. They are really nice and unusual to me and that makes it more interesting.

misti, I remember seeing these on your blog so I already had an idea what they were like.

david, thanks.

Anyone that wants to see some very nice nature pictures should visit David's blog.

sandy k., the Purple ones are starting to get very popular around here and for good reason. This start green, turn white and stay white.

david mcmahon said...

That is simply beautiful.

Saline County, Arkansas Photos said...

I like this first one too.

Priscilla George said...

The purple beautyberries are very popular here in san antonio. I love them and will get one next year. I had no idea there were white ones. They make for very interesting pictures.