Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Few Images From Skylands

A Few Images From Skylands
The New Jersey State Botanical Garden

Yesterday’s drive ended up taking me over to Skylands, the New Jersey State Botanical Garden. I had been there quite a few years ago and I vaguely remembered how nice it was. Sure it would have been better to be there a week or two ago but there was still plenty of things to see including a lot of foliage. It is a large collection of trees, perennials, shrubs and it looked like during the season annuals.
Persian Parrottia (Parrotia persica) in full fall color.

The weather was really crummy as there were a few spots of the snow left over from the night before. Cloudy, chilly (cold, actually) and windy were the key weather words for our visit. The sky was a flat gray rendering any pictures with it pretty much useless. I did have a pretty good day with the camera despite the sky and wind and I will be posting some of the photos this week. I was able to snag my ABC Wednesday picture for this week’s ‘Q’ post. I was worried about that because it isn’t really an easy letter. Today’s post is about yellow fall foliage, I guess, it was an unintended theme.
One of many paths leading to heavily wooded areas.

The sun did start to peak out as evidenced in the first picture but only after we started to drive out of the parking lot. That one was shot on the entrance road. We spent about 3.5 hours looking around and saw some really beautiful foliage and evergreens.

I wanted to go out and get a few photos today but it is pretty windy here today. It is also kind of cold. It seems like the wind is dying down a bit so I might go out after all.
Unnamed Japanese Maple, very effective against a backdrop of Taxus.

8 comments:

K M F said...

beautifull shot

SandyCarlson said...

The Japanese maple is beautiful. I have never seen one in yellow!

In Waterbury today for church, I noticed all the hills are a deep rust or toasty brown. So earthy and warm and quiet. I do hope they all let go before any snow comes, though!

Thanks for visiting!
God bless.

Anonymous said...

I love fall foilage, especially golden leaves. Your photos are beautiful! So glad you decided to "join the blogging craze"!

Ki said...

Truly outstanding color on that unknown Japanese maple. Lovely photos.

Mike said...

You know your plants I'll give you that. I confess to being useless on the subject. The woodland paths look inviting. I could quite happily spend an entire day rambling.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

kmf and ki, thanks for the comments. Ki, I am sure the Maple was a named cultivar as it was just too nice not be. They just didn't have a sign.

sandy, the foliage is pretty much done around here. The Oaks and Beech Trees are able to hold their leaves during the winter.

Hi photo buffet, I am glad I started blogging too. It has been an overall wonderful experience.

mike, the woods were inviting. Too bad it was cold out or I might have taken a couple of the paths.

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful yellows they always make the trees look like they are glowing.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

As always, your photos are beautiful. I'm an admirer of Parrotia; maybe someday I'll find a place to put 1.