Friday, November 09, 2007

Fallen Fall Foliage

Fall leaves of the Maidenhair Tree (Ginkgo biloba)


It has been a strange foliage season here in Connecticut. The timing just doesn’t seem to be following our normal routine. A lot of the leaves just turned brown and fell off and some other trees are more beautiful than ever. While walking around the Estate yesterday I was struck by how beautiful some the fallen leaves looked. I knew I had missed the Ginkgo Tree by a matter of a day or two because of the several inches of leaves that completely covered the area underneath it. The Ginkgo gets beautiful yellow color and after a few days almost every leaf falls off the tree at once.


These are from one of my favorite trees in the garden. There are actually two specimens of Fernleaf Fullmoon Japanese Maple (Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium') growing but since this one is in full sun it gets better color. That is a big name but it is a tree that is big on attributes. I will have a post that deals with this tree in a couple of days.

I bought a new electronic keyboard and have been practicing a lot. It replaced some really old keyboards that I had. It is a miracle how far these things have come since the 10 years that my last one was built. I am thinking of trying to join a band so I am trying to learn some new songs. I am scraping the rust off. I don’t really have to practice a lot of guitar as that comes a bit more naturally to me and I have been doing some of that all along. Forgive me if the upcoming posts are a little brief, you will know that I am practicing. A friend gave me a live CD of The Band and I have decided to try and figure out every song it.

12 comments:

i beati said...

Jaoanes Maple i agree so lacy and lovely I posted one a week ago .So much intricacy to the tree. sk

Priscilla George said...

The ginkgo biloba looks seems like a great sight to see. That is amazing that all the leaves fall off at once.

The japanese maple leaves looks great too. Those trees are always so beautiful in many ways.

I wish you the best with your practicing.

SandyCarlson said...

These are lovely photos. As I drove through light and brief snow flurries this morning, I couldn't help noticing the number of trees on which the leaves are still green. Of all things.

I thought of you yesterday when I found a Japanese maple in Bethlehem (in a cemetery) that was just on fire. It was just beautiful.

Good luck with the music! Maybe you could add a podcast to your blog!

Anonymous said...

Fall did seem to come a bit later. There were subtle hints and then finally last weekend it arrived.

I have an old keyboard from my FIL and need to practice. I took piano for years as a kid and was fairly good, but I am very rusty. In fact, rust just falls off my hands as I try to play. LOL!

Muum said...

small world, I have a Japaneses maple and a ginkgo tree, too. It has been a lovely fall. What kind of music do you play?

Oswegan said...

Wow, I like the one of the steps covered in green leaves.

Very cool.

~Oswegan

Neva said...

These leaves are so pretty ....and they really look lovely covering the path.

Mike said...

Most of our leaves have blown off the trees now following some fairly strong winds. You're third picture down is fantastic.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Vanilla, thanks for the wishes I going to need them. Can you grow Japanese Maples down there?

sandy, I saw the snow too. It made my heart sink a bit. I am not a snow lover at all. I hope you took a picture of the Maple.

misti, hey there. Its weird it is a complete different set of muscles for guitar vs. keyboard. Although I am just getting into the heavy practice rotation I remember how much of an escape music is for me.

mumm, mostly rock and popular music but I like a bit of country, too. I am not into the real noisy stuff anymore. Thanks for stopping by.

Nice to see some ABC people here. Oswegan and neva, hi there. Glad you liked the photos. I guess I am lucky to have access to shots like the leaves on the path in my 'office'. The gardens at work really provide a show for fall. It was done on purpose as the owners don't live there in the summer.

mike, thanks a lot. How did your Guy Fawkes night shoot go? I am going to check your site. Hope you had a good one.

Ki said...

I thought I left a comment but somehow it got lost in the ether.

There are several ginko trees in Princeton, lining a street. The leaves are an incredibly brilliant yellow in fall. I can't think of another tree that can match the intensity of yellow those ginkos produce.

I had a Aconitifolium, Maiku jaku. Which should be spelled Mai kujaku unlike the popular spelling in the first instance. Mai is dancing, kujaku is a peacock. Unfortunately a rogue deer clipped the grafted growing stem clean off from the stock. I was fit to be tied. Your beautiful photo of the leaves only makes me sadder to think what I am missing.

I have the Sango kaku photos and information up now.

Mike said...

Not as well as hoped if I'm honest.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

mike, I had a look at your pictures and thought you did pretty good. Event photography, especially at night, is tough. I always walk away hoping to get 3 or 4 good photographs and you got more than that.