Monday, November 12, 2007

Scarlet Maple (Acer rubrum ‘October Glory’)


Scarlet Maple
Acer rubrum ‘October Glory’
(AY-ser) (ROO-brum)
Synonyms: Red Swamp Maple, Swamp Maple, Soft Maple, Carolina Red Maple

When I first started this blog I said to myself that I don’t want to feature the same plant twice but have come to realize (after about 450+ posts) that way of thinking isn’t right. Since this blog is mainly about pictures I now see that I am photographing some of the same plants but from different angles and with the more important thing, different light. So I am posting these pictures of Scarlet Maple even though I had a post about them on October 03, 2006. This tree is a known cultivar and that makes it a little different.


These were two of the best colored trees in the whole New Jersey State Botanical Garden, at least for red foliage, this last weekend. They seemed literally to be on fire. I guess ‘October Glory’ can mean November Glory also. ‘October Glory’ is one of my favorite Swamp Maples. It grow about 40 feet tall and 30-35 feet wide. It is fast growing and very reliable for color, it is also hardy to USDA Zone4. You can often see it gracing parking lots, commercial centers and streets but it is also a good tree for the garden and lawn.

Here is a link to the other Scarlet Maple post

15 comments:

Mike said...

The colours are amazing. Trees are looking a bit sparse around here now. I might concentrate my energies on night photography for the next few months now the nights have drawn in.

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful read. It looks like it's on fire.

Muum said...

mmm! not too many maples, or red-foliaged trees here, so I enjoyed seeing yours.

i beati said...

I can actually touch it through the phot. what an experience in sharing sk

Annie in Austin said...

It might be common to you, Chris, but it would stand out like a bonfire down here! The garden writer Allen Lacy talked of swamp maple - now I see why he didn't want to take down that tree.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

dot said...

What a beauty! I love that first picture.

Oswegan said...

Well done.

~Oswegan

Anonymous said...

Will never get tired of such beauty! :-)

Happy WW!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

mike,
One thing I didn't like about living in England was the fact it got dark so early. I can understand why you are going to try some night photography.

Vanillalotus, that is what I thought. Fire!

mumm, I am not sure where you are but this one of the perks of living around here (New England) this time of year.

ibeati, thanks. I was very happy to get this picture considering the conditions. You could see this tree from very far away and it pulled me right over to it.

Hi annie, This Swamp Maple in particular is fantastic. Some of the native seedlings are close in color but the cultivars are a sure way of getting the color.

dot, oswegan and tricotine, thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment.

Hin Man said...

Lovely color. I always like the red color around this time. With the added rain, it is even more prettier as in your red leaves.

indicaspecies said...

I've discovered a beautiful blog with stunning pictures.

Congratulations on making it to the Post of the Day. You deserve it and more!

Lee said...

Ah, how beautiful. It's the colors like that which make the cooler temperatures of Autumn bearable.

Congratulations on Post of the Day over at authorblog.

Peace!

orneryswife said...

Stunning photo of the leaves. The whole tree was lovely, too, but I really liked the leaves against the black background of your blog. I just love the fall, and the brilliant colors it brings fade too quickly to not capture them. Thanks for sharing. (came from Authorblog)
TM

Misty DawnS said...

This is beautiful. I miss the reds. Here in the new state, I see mostly golds and yellows. I miss the oranges and reds.

laptop parts article said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.