Saturday, November 10, 2007

Fallen Fall Foliage ~ Part 2

Fallen Fall Foliage ~ Part 2

We are off on a drive to try and find the last vestiges of our fall season. I took these pictures at work on Thursday. The first pictures are the fallen leaves of the Weeping Katsura tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum var. magnificum 'Pendula'). It is a beautiful tree that has grown into a graceful specimen. It has actually gotten fairly huge, probably about 40 feet tall.


This is a shot of the leaves on the ground with what I call the ‘Twins’ in the background (you can only see one of them the other one is to the right). These aren’t the ones but I actually did plant two Japanese Maples for a pair of twins that a customer had. They plant a tree each time a child is born (three so far). These trees ‘Red Foliage Selections’ (Acer palmatum) from Weston Nurseries. They have gotten a lot bigger over time also. They were planted in 1998 and I have been pruning the tops to keep them shorter. The nice thing about these is they hold their color during the season. They also have nice fall color (just starting) and a really dark twig color.


This final picture is a leaf covered walk by the River Birch Grove. As you can see I have got a lot of clean up work to do. We dodged a weather bullet last night as it got down to 33 degrees F. while it was raining. I saw some snow showers yesterday and thought it was going to snow last night. Nothing is worse than snow when a lot of the leaves are still on the trees. That has happened here before with devastating results. The snow piles up on the leaves and then the branches break. The sun is out now and the trend is for warmer temperatures. The pictures of the last two days have been shot with the 50mm/1.8 lens, I am loving it.

7 comments:

i beati said...

at first I thought I was looking at coins ?beauteous

Priscilla George said...

I love the idea of planting a tree for every kid you have. The little maples are a pretty color. Get raking.

Lynette said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing your fall foliage posts, and reading them, too. I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at such natural beauty. The CDPB thing has allowed me to visit it the world over.

SandyCarlson said...

These very lovely pictures remind me of my childhood chore of the season. I could hear rakes in the distance as I soaked up your photos. What a lovely, peaceful experience. Thanks.

God bless.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Vanilla, thanks. I do have a lot of work to do. Lucky for the most part I just have to tell others what to do now that we are back to full staff.

lynette, greetings from the other coast. One thing I love about blogs is I am able to garden on an international scale and get new ideas or just live through other's plants during the off season.

sandy, you are most welcome. Thanks for visiting and leaving comments.

I really mean that.

Ki said...

I saw a Katsura tree and a Parrotia for sale a couple of years ago but hesitated to buy them because I didn't know what they were at the time. I could kick myself now for not taking the opportunity to buy them. What lovely trees.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Ki, the Parrotia is probably set up better for smaller garden type settings, it grows almost like a shrub. The Katsura is nice but needs a lot more room. The round shape of the leaves and the fact it gets a little reddish spring color are just two of the nice things about it.