Sunday, March 02, 2008

2008 NYBG Orchid Show

Asian Corsage Orchid
Cymbidium Via Lady CarisonaChateau Burgundy
(sim-BID-ee-um)

2008 NYBG Orchid Show
New York Botanical Garden
Bronx, NY

On Sunday I attended the 2008 New York Orchid Show. It was wonderful and although I didn’t do as well photographically as I would have liked I did manage a few good pictures. I got my ticket on-line and since I am member of the garden they were free. I printed it out and used one of my parking passes so basically it was free. I am not sure how much tickets cost but the parking is $12.

Another Asian Corsage Orchid (Cymbidium 'Milk Tea')

Now I have gone to this show for the last three years and each year it gets better. This year there were these fabulous arbors with Orchids tucked all the way up the sides and across the top. This year the show was a little more artistic and set up more in total rather than just a bunch of flowers displayed. I don’t know if that makes sense to everyone. The plants were all in good condition with literally thousands of flowers of all types in full bloom.

Not my finest hour with the camera but I did want you to see one of the Orchid Arbors.

When you get your ticket you have to sign up for a specific time to enter the conservatory. I chose 10:30 (it opens at 10 am) and it was a little crowded already. By the time I left two hours later it was really crowded. I was still able to get near the flowers I wanted to photograph and for being that crowded it was tolerable. I think I may try and sneak back to the show during the week, I am sure it will be less crowded.

I wanted to add that the New York Orchid Show is a little different than the several other large Orchid Shows I have been to. There is no judging of the flowers and no vendors. I like both styles of shows however for photography I think the New York style show is better since it is not located in a dark cavernous hall but a brightly lit greenhouse.

Last week I was awarded this big ‘E’ from Katarina i Kullavik at
Roses and Stuff a garden blog from Sweden. I find the Nordic countries extremely interesting and beautiful. There are quite of few blogs that I enjoy from that area. I always thought they had a really harsh gardening season but I think the opposite is true; in many ways their season is ahead of Connecticut. So thanks Katarina for giving me the award I am both honored and humbled by it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

stunning orchids

Neza S.G. said...

Nice photos, I'll check your page again.

Here's my page:
http://rockandrollgardener.blogspot.com/

Priscilla George said...

beautiful orchids. I have never been to an orchid show and would love to go. That looks like it was great fun with many great things to see.

Tracy said...

I am kicking myself now for missing our local orchid show last weekend.....I have never been to one either, but they look spectacular.

Wonderful photo's, thanks for sharing!!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks for the comments. It was worth attending the show for the lovely smell alone.

A Free Man said...

That's a gorgeous cymbidium, love their massive inflorescences. Looks like a wonderful show!

Katarina said...

My pleasure - I enjoy your photos very, very much. Thanks for sharing. /Katarina at Roses and stuff