Sunday, March 09, 2008

Golden Geranium and Jasmine

These two pictures were taken at Wave Hill last summer. The sunlight was lighting the golden foliage nicely. I like plants with golden foliage for accents in the garden. Over the years I have become more and more agreeable to having yellow in the garden. When I was growing up our nursery grew large crops of Geraniums and it is amazing to me the cultivars and choices that are available today. Here is a link to a big grower of different fancy types. I am not sure about their customer service or their plants but the have an extraordinary collection offered.

Fancy Leafed Geraniums

If you look closely around their site you can get a free offer if you live in the EU. I am not sure which Geranium this is but it was striking and along with the green and white variegated and the tricolor it is one of my favorites.

Poet's Jasmine
Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise'
(JAZ-mih-num) (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-lee)

I had never seen this plant before snapping this picture. Talk about color! It was growing in a container so I think they take it inside as it is rated for USDA Zone 8 although there have been some reports of this vine being hardy to Zone 6. Unfortunately it was not blooming but produces fragrant white flowers during the summer and fall.


This is an abstract of some Butterfly wings I took the same day.

6 comments:

Merisi said...

Beautiful shot!
This should be a Monarch butterfly. I recently read that deforestation down in Mexico, where the Monarchs take sanctuary during winter, is continuing at a worrysome pace.

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!

Kerri said...

Gorgeous photos! I especially love the geranium with those color combinations, and the Jasmine shape is wonderful. Great shot of the Monarch.

Diane Dehler said...

Well, why is it for poets? Enchanting perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I have grown Jasminum officinale 'Aurea' in my zone 8a garden for almost 5 years with no problems. We have also been selling 'Fiona Sunrise' for several years at work (zone 7b), and have had no one reported it as not hardy. I like Fiona better and wish that it had been available when I bought the 'Aurea'. Its new growth is more orange than 'Aurea'.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

vienna, thanks for visiting. I didn't see many Monarchs last year but we had tons of other butterflies.

kerri, the pink and gold was quite striking.

princess, I found this from an old NY Times article:

"In the 19th century, it was often called the poet's jasmine, primarily because countless young ladies practiced their iambic pentameter while gazing at and inhaling the pure white blossoms."

les, thanks for the report. I find it hard to believe that it is hardy in Zone 6, maybe someone who has it will report here.

I hope your spring is going well.

Anonymous said...

cool pics! good job! i love this blog!