Saturday, March 08, 2008

Chinese Indigo

Chinese Indigo
Indigofera decora
(in-dee-GO-fer-uh) (DEK-or-uh)
Synonyms: Indigofera incarnata

It took me a long time to figure out what this flower is. First I had no recollection of where I took it and the date was wrong on the file (no help there). Second after I narrowed it down to a Indigofera it didn’t look right since all the pictures I have seen show the open parts of the flower further up the raceme with just buds on the part that is blooming here. Then it finally dawned on me that this flower is almost spent, and the upper flowers have already bloomed and fallen off.

Its not like I could actually grow this one as it is hardy only to Zone 8 (USDA) and we are on the edge of 6 and 7 here. After reading up a bit on it I found this plant can be a good plant to have in difficult locations like under large shade trees. Since it spreads by underground stems it can be invasive but is a reliable bloomer, can grow on a variety of soils, and has a nice looking flower. The delicate shading was quite striking.

Working was great this week. I haven’t called the crew back yet and I have been enjoying a little time in the garden with just Karen. My hand hurts a little from all hand pruning I was doing. In my youthful wisdom I once designed a huge sloping bed with an edge of Japanese Garden Juniper (Juniperus procumbens) completely surrounding it. It is a very nice effect as the Junipers have crawled on the rocks and formed a living necklace, but it is a little maintenance intense. I like Junipers but cultivar selection is so important. In most gardens Junipers get too big so I usually only use the dwarf or compact types now.

The best way I have found to prune them is to reach in and remove some of the thicker branches from the inside while carefully trying to keep the surrounding foliage to help cover the cuts. It can be easy to get unnatural shape if you are not careful. Junipers are one of the few plants that I probably I have removed as many I have planted.

'Early Bride'

This picture is from last year and is ‘Early Bride’ Daffodil. I took this along the Daffodil and Daylily Walk at the NYBG. It is a simple planting separated down the middle by an asphalt path but it also a brilliant planting and one that I have used as an inspiration many times. They way these two plants combine is almost perfect and they give an extended season of color.

9 comments:

Marie said...

Beautiful photos! Have a nice weekend :)

Kerri said...

Gorgeous coloring in the Chinese Indigo. You sound like me...I love (need!) to put a name with a 'face' :)
That beautiful daffodil is aptly named.
Wonderful photos. Thank you!

Diane Dehler said...

OOhhhhh. The indigo flowers would make perfect dresses for Fairy Queen's and such creatures that dance in magic rings. There is nothing as ephemeral and beautiful as a flower.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Chinese Indigo, I have never seen it before, stunning!

Anonymous said...

WoW...some beautifully captured shots with lovely lighting & the colours...lovely views of these flowers...Excellent!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

thanks again to everyone. It is nice to get the right ID, kerri. Princess, hello, thanks for the drawing that picture for me.

flyingstars, tyra and marie, hi there and glad you liked the pictures.

Lynette said...

This is not exactly politically correct, but the Chinese indigo made me think of paper Japanese lanterns. I enjoyed browsing your recent posts.

Sandy Kessler said...

never saw Chinese Indigo before - I think I take the geranium for grantd

Digital Flower Pictures said...

lynette, I think it is OK. Thanks for stopping by.

hi sandy, nice to see you here again. Not too many people seem to grow the Indigo but now that I know what it is I will be seeing it all over the place ;)