Friday, March 14, 2008

Daylily Seedling Number 2

Daylily Seedling
Hemerocallis
(hem-er-oh-KAL-iss)

This is a Daylily seedling that I caught blooming last year. It is a strange but nice color. I have to remember to divide the Daylilies this year. I haven’t done it in awhile and they are starting to push out of their spaces. I am never sure if dividing them in the spring or the fall is better so I will do some both times and keep track of which worked better.

I usually don’t post pictures of work but here is one from early summer of 2007. The compression didn’t help the clarity. I can’t wait till things are this green again.


I have to leave early this morning and take a look at some 4 to 5-foot Dwarf White Pine (Pinus strobus ‘Nana’) at a nursery in Brewster, New York. I need 8 trees to make a hedge and 2 more for another area. After I look at them I have to call the client and see if they want to go ahead with the planting. Then I will have to write the proposal and go back to the nursery to tag them for digging. It is a little early but all this takes time. Lucky it is a local grower and the trees are in the ground so I can pick the ones I want as opposed to having to pick them out of a shipment. My experience is they are hard to get this big.

I am so happy to be outside full time again although I sure feel another season older. The weather has been cold and windy with patches of a semi-spring sun. I am not complaining.

6 comments:

Melanie Chopay said...

Daylilies can be dug anytime but optimal time to split them is when they are in active growth. That means early spring and right after they are finished blooming.

My favorite time is in April and I'm on Long Island so that's almost the same conditions as you would have. In the summer you run the risk of a heat wave which would stress them out and in the fall you might get an early freeze. As soon as I can start dividing plants I'll have photos on my site showing how I do that.

I like your photo!

Priscilla George said...

What a very nice colored Daylily. That garden is beautiful I would die to have a yard like that.

Phillip Oliver said...

Exquisite photography!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

melanie, thanks for the tips, sounds like I better get to work on them soon!

VL, there are a 4.5 acres like this and another 2 that are woodsy type gardens.

phillip, thanks for visiting again. I appreciate your support.

Anonymous said...

i love this one! it's just great!

chey said...

Your seedling is a neat color, and I really like your picture! I try to divide and plant my daylilies earlier in the season rather than later, as fall planting in our zone 5 is risky. I have a higher winter loss from daylilies planted in the fall.