Saturday, March 01, 2008

Flamingo Flower

Flamingo Flower
Anthurium
(an-THUR-ee-um)

I am always trying to take pictures of this plant and this is about successful as I have been. Every time I turn around there seems to be a new color or pattern available. Here is a link to Wikipedia that describes some information of some of the 1,000 species that make up this genus of the Arum family.

Wikipedia page on Anthurium

I have been burning DVD back ups all morning and will continue to do so after I post this. It is painfully slow because of my DVD burner. I really have to get an external burner this year. My computer is old so it takes a long time to do anything these days. The disks are a must now that I have everything backed up on two different external hard drives. I am also getting ready to go to the Orchid Show tomorrow. That means cleaning off a couple of memory cards, charging batteries and deciding what lenses to bring. I got my Coolpix 5400 back from Nikon service yesterday and they replaced the senor, tested and adjusted everything and gave it a good cleaning. It looks brand new and I had it out in Manhattan yesterday to take a few snaps. It seemed to work great except I forgot to set it for the size aspect and size of the file. I ended up with 5MP files that were about 1MB. Kudos to Nikon for stepping up and fixing everything for free.

Here are a couple from Manhattan yesterday.
The Post Office across from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station


Fire Truck that rolled up to the building I was walking by.

Track #114 from deep in the bowels of Grand Central Terminal

6 comments:

Nessa said...

I love that pink and green color combination and B&W photos.

Tracy said...

Beautiful B&W pics, I love them.

joey said...

Flamingo is a beauty! Will be anxious to see your orchid shoot, Chris! Enjoy the moment ... wish I was at the show, camera in hand :)

Digital Flower Pictures said...

tracy and nessa, thanks. Having the old camera back is kind of like having a new one. Very stimulating.

joey, I am so looking forward to the show. I hope I can get a few pictures to share.

i beati said...

reminds me of a Caladium leaf

Ki said...

My father use to raise anthuriums when we live in Hawaii. He was partial to the 'obake' ghost in Japanese like the one in your photo. The obakes seemed more like leaves which were colored in the inner parts and usually had a green rim. The obakes were usually much bigger than the usual anthurium flower. Wonderful to see a great example again.