Sunday, February 08, 2009

Orange Clockvine

Orange Clockvine
Thunbergia gregorii
(thun-BER-jee-uh) (gre-GOR-ee-eye)
Synonyms: Thunbergia gibsonii, Orange Trumpet Vine

Today’s Flowers is a group of bloggers from all over the world that post flower pictures on Sunday. You can always find some beautiful and interesting flowers by visiting the participants.

This is the fourth species of Thunbergia that has been posted on this site. Here are some links to the other Clock Vines on this blog.
Thunbergia alata/Black-eyed Susan Vine
Thunbergia grandiflora/Bengal Clock Vine
Thunbergia mysorensis/Clock Vine

This one was unusual to me since the flower was a solid yellow. All of the different vines are attractive to me but they are grown as annuals in Connecticut’s climate. I don’t have to deal with rampant or unwanted growth.

Thunbergia gregorii is a native of central Africa and is hardy to about 25 degrees F. It likes full sun and has low water needs. The dried hairy stems and pods can be a skin irritant.

This is a shot of some Palm trees that I took in Pacific Beach. I love the geometric shapes of the Palms. That is something we don’t have back home.


To visit Today’s Flowers click here. It opens at 6 pm GMT.

6 comments:

Judy said...

I like that clear orange colour!! And the shadows!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Love that color. What a beautiful photo. I like the palm trees shot too. I like the long, slendar silhouettes.

EG CameraGirl said...

Such a pretty flower. I wonder if I can find seeds for this one!

My Today’s Flower’s post is at
More of Me - EG

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is a really pretty colour and flower...

Gill in Canada

dot said...

Two beautiful shots! I especially like the palm trees.

Diane Dehler said...

Hi Chris,
Divine orange there. Take care.