Thursday, July 03, 2008

Black-Eyed Susan Vine

Black-Eyed Susan Vine
Thunbergia alata
(thun-BER-jee-uh) (a-LAY-tuh)

This is the second year I have been growing this vine. It is doing well again this season even after the irrigation system that waters the containers went crazy and kept it completely submerged for about 2 1/2 weeks before I noticed it. It seemed to shrug off the flood with a few yellow leaves and is back to growing like crazy. It was bought with both this orange type and a yellow flowering variety in the same pot. I am going to have figure out how to add more height to stake that is in there now or attach some sort of trellis to the pot as it is just winding around itself now. Black-Eyed Susan Vine likes to be in full sun and well-drained soil. It is a perennial in mild climates. My friend tells me it can grow indoors over the winter in a sunny window. I will have to try that.

This is from the wedding I attended over the weekend. The photographer was kind enough not to mind other photographers when she was setting up the shots. I hope she puts up a website soon for her photography as she has a lot of talent. I got to see some of the wedding pictures she took before I left Maine and they were pretty amazing especially with the equipment and conditions considerations she had to deal with. All of the Black and White pictures on this site (not that many) are taken with my Nikon Coolpix 8400 set to Monochrome.

2 comments:

Indrani said...

Not a so nice name for the beautiful flower. :)

Thanks a ton Chris for the visit.I just did a post on the flowers of my balcony garden. I know you are busy but will be happy if you visit and let me know what you think of them. http://isharethese.blogspot.com/2008/07/of-jasmine-buds-and-water-lily-flowers.html

i beati said...

I have susy vine by hundreds on my fence grows fast and takes over everything