Sunday, September 26, 2010

Formal Decorative Dahlia


Formal Decorative Dahlia
Dahlia ‘Hy Sockeye’

After having some business in Long Island yesterday I scooted over to Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. They were having the annual Dahlia show but it opened really late and I couldn’t stick around for that. I was a little like the kid at the candy store with my face pasted against the glass looking at the flowers. Lucky for me the Paul Callahan Dahlia Garden is adjacent to the show so I snapped a couple quick pictures including this black and white macro of ‘Hy Sockeye’. It was a little bit of a relief to see that the Dahlias in the garden weren’t up to the usual standard as I found the same thing in my gardens.

Too bad there wasn’t a tag on this Dahlia as it was my favorite. Not the biggest flower (4-5 inches across) but stunning in color and detail. The Dahlia flowers with the different colored tips always catch me eye and I thought this one was exceptional.


Here is a bonus flower since it is Sunday. See more flowers from all over the world at Today’s Flowers .


Pink Canna Lily
Canna x generalis
(KAN-uh) (jen-er-RAY-liss)

This flower was blooming outside the greenhouse at Planting Fields. The color was a little washed out probably from the hot location. Pink is not the most usual color for Cannas and it was nice to see it.

6 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous Dahlia, love the color. Beautiful photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

It must have been a wonderful show! Lucky you!

vincibene said...

Beautiful pictures! I like the first monochrome one!

Arija said...

Love both shots of the dahlias.

Unknown said...

Very nice! I love the black and white dhalia. My entry is in black and white - a sunflower. It's not the best photo but for me it made me notice how heavy the giant head is. The b&w brought that out.

My Post for Today's Flowers

lotusleaf said...

Pale pink is rare to see in Cannas, which are grown extensively here.