Thursday, September 16, 2010

Monte Carlo Red Daylily


Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Monte Carlo Red'
(hem-er-oh-KAL-iss)

This Daylily was blooming in the daylily Collection at the NYBG earlier this year. Seeing the collection in full bloom was probably the height of my botanical summer this year. Very impressive in both size and scope. Our Daylilies did well this year but only a few rebloomed. I am not sure why that was but it was a little bit of a disappointment.

We have been renovating a lot of the gardens at the Estate this summer. It has been a difficult job, as you have to tip toe around the stuff you want to save and still use a bold stroke to get the desired effect. We would have done a lot more transplanting if the weather had been the least bit cooperative. I was still able to get away with transplanting a few items and they have all lived so far. I have come to the conclusion that even the most carefully planned and maintained garden needs to have some booster work in 10 to 15 years. It really can’t look its best without it.

2 comments:

Debra Howard said...

I love daylilies and that one is beautiful. Mine are all the stella de oro and some other random pink and purple ones. I am thinking I may need one like this one too!
Debbie

Kala said...

Wonderful light and rich color. Monte Carlo Red is a good name for this show off!