Saturday, July 08, 2006




Double Purple Coneflower ‘Razzmatazz’
Echinacea purpurea (ek-in-AY-shee-uh pur-PUR-ee-uh)
Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee)
Plant Patent #13,894

I tried a couple of these in the garden this year and all I can say is WOW! This is one of the many new Coneflowers they are coming out with. Jan van Winsen discovered this double-flowered version in Holland in 1997.

Coneflowers are easy to grow. It seems very hardy and left to its own devices seeds itself in. I have been collecting and replanting seed from my Coneflowers for a couple of years now. It certainly has produced some interesting color and flower variations. If you want the truly spectacular flowers, use some of the named cultivars. I like mixing the various types together. Mixing in the whites with the pinks has also worked well. Look for more and more colors coming to your local garden center. I was glad to get ‘Sunset’ and 'Razzatazz' from my wholesale supplier in Long Island. Echinacea comes from the Greek word 'echinos' meaning hedgehog in reference to the flower’s spiny center cone.

No comments: