Friday, July 28, 2006



Pheasant Berry
Leycesteria formosa ‘Golden Lanterns’
(ley-ses-TER-ee-uh) (for-MOH-suh)

Someone bought one of these plants and wanted it planted in their garden. I had not heard of it and looked around the yard for a spot. I found a small open area by a Dwarf Blue Holly (‘Blue Angel’), Wood’s Dwarf Nandina (N. domestica), and a rare Azalea cultivar ‘Rainbow’. This is the spot I had moved a large Burkwood Viburnum from last year. I love Viburnums but they get too big!

The Pheasant Berry is synonymous with Himalayan Honeysuckle. ‘Golden Lanterns’ is apparently a new cultivar. I didn’t notice the scent when I planted it, but the flowers, surrounded by dark bracts, were easy to see. The new growth had a wonderful burgundy color. I will keep you posted on how this plant performs.

I am headed up to Caribou, Maine, for the weekend. I will try to post remotely, but that may not work. If not, I'll be back on Monday.

No comments: