Sunday, March 11, 2007

White Forsythia (Abeliophyllum distichum)


White Forsythia
Abeliophyllum distichum
(al-bee-lee-oh-FY-lum) (DIS-tik-um)

This picture is from last spring. This isn’t a true Forsythia but is often times referred to as White Forsythia. I think I have found one the secrets to growing this plant. It likes unimproved soil and not too much care. This plant is growing right next to a four-foot high stonewall that was backfilled with stones and gravel when it was built. Besides an after blooming trim it really doesn’t require any care. I have been half-heartedly training it to cascade over the wall and it seems to be following the program. Its very early flowering (before the traditional Forsythia) and fragrant flowers are a wonderful addition to the garden. The rest of the year it is fairly mundane but for a couple of weeks in late-March and early-April it is a standout. I wouldn’t recommend it for small gardens or causal gardeners but I think it has a place to fit in the larger garden. You can force the branches for the house. There is a pink version I haven’t tried but looks interesting.

Spring is in the air here today and it looks like it is going to warm up next week. I will believe it when I see it. Yesterday I went to NYC meet up with an Internet Photography forum I am a member of. It was a lot of fun but also a lot of walking. It was great finally putting some faces on the people I have been corresponding with. There was a touch of spring in Manhattan.

5 comments:

Ki said...

An interesting shrub. I wonder why it's not planted more as I have not seen it around, especially when it has a scent?

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks for visiting Ki and for leaving a comment. The main problem with the White Forsythia is that it is not a strong grower.

Anonymous said...

I live in central Maine, and I have had a White Forsythia now for six years. I agree with you that it is not a strong grower; mine tends to be rather rangy and never looks very robust or full. However, yesterday and today it has been in peak bloom and it is such a welcome sight this time of year. I don't think you can say too much about the fragrance, it is incredible.

Anonymous said...

This shurb just started growing in my azalea bed and I had no idea what it was (or how it got there). I'm happy to finally know what it is - now I've just got to find somewhere else in my yard for it to grow!

Cynthia
Cayce, SC

Anonymous said...

This shrub just started growing in my azalea bed and I had no idea what it was (or how it got there). I'm happy to finally know what it is - now I've just got to find somewhere else in my yard for it to grow!

Cynthia
Cayce, SC