Friday, December 07, 2007

Garden Phlox (Phlox paniculata 'Franz Schubert')


Garden Phlox
Phlox paniculata 'Franz Schubert'
(floks) (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh)

I don’t feel like I have much to say today other than what a week it was. I am glad it is over in so many ways. Yesterday I was tending to the big rose garden and it was really cold. Not mention all the thorns I stuck by, including a deep one right in the knuckle. Just marvelous. I only got about 2/3’s of the roses done and am going back tomorrow for some more punishment.

This Phlox is a beauty. What can you say about such a classic flower as Garden Phlox? There have been several posts of P. paniculata on this site so use the search or click the label if you want to find out a little more about the flowers.


I saw this striped rose in Ireland and it was very interesting. I used to not be crazy about striped roses but I have been liking them more lately, maybe it is an acquired taste.

7 comments:

Rune Eide said...

After having seen your pictures of flowers, I think I'll stop taking such pictures :-). Magnificent.

I'll stay with something else.

SandyCarlson said...

I love the tenacious little plox. too. Your photo is elegant, as usual.

The striped rose is new to me. Is it peculiar to Ireland?

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love the little rose! My mother in law has a nice red and white striped one. I'll have to post it soon.

Priscilla George said...

Wow you have posted two posts on two plants I will actually be planting out soon. I am always so attracted to Phlox. I bought a package of Phlox of Sheep. I will be planting it with the dusty miller seeds I got! It is my goal to try all the phlox colors I can.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

runee, thanks, you have your beautiful landscape photography to fall back on.

sandy, they seem to grow a lot of striped roses over there but you can find them in the US also. Most are old roses that only bloom once a year.

hi misti, I would love to see your MIL's rose. Let me know when you post it.

VL, I have never tried Dusty Miller from seed and will be interested in your progress.

Anonymous said...

The Schubert Phlox is just beautiful I planted mine last year and just recently transplanted it. A CT resident as well, I'm hoping ofr a beautiful display this summer.

Anonymous said...

Well, in my opinion this is a Gallica Versicolor, also called Rosa Mundi, one of my favourite ones. If i had a little bit of free space in my garden i would surely buy it, but unfortunately it only blooms once.