Friday, December 14, 2007

Two Poinsettias

Two Poinsettias

These are from the nursery I visited on Wednesday. I got one of these first Poinsettias. I am not sure the variety, but it caught my eye. They didn’t have as much of a selection this year, maybe since I went a little later than usual.

Karen and I are headed down to Longwood Gardens tomorrow so I may or may not be able to post. If not I am due back Monday afternoon I will see you all then.


The following facts on Poinsettias are from this page. Check it out there are many more interesting facts:

University of Illinois Extension

Written by:
Ron Wolford
Unit Educator, Urban Horticulture and Environment

“Poinsettias are native to Mexico.

Poinsettias were introduced into the United States in 1825 by Joel Poinsett.

There are over 100 varieties of poinsettias available.

Seventy-four percent of Americans still prefer red poinsettias; 8 percent prefer white and 6 percent pink.

Poinsettias are perennial flowering shrubs that can grow to ten feet tall.

Poinsettias represent over 85 percent of the potted plant sales during the holiday season.

Eighty percent of people who purchase poinsettias are 40 or older.

A study at Ohio State University showed that a 50 pound child who ate 500 bracts might have a slight tummy ache.

In a study in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine 22,793 cases of poinsettia exposures were electronically analyzed. 98.9% of the exposures were accidental with 93.9% involving children. 96.1% of the exposed patients were not treated in a health care facility and 92.4% did not require any type of therapy.”

December 12th is officially Poinsettia Day according to Paul Ecke Ranch (who grows over 80 percent of the Poinsettias in the US).



I wanted to post these pictures because I was amazed at how the fountain duplicated the Magnolia leaves in the garland. They were right next to each other in the greenhouse.

7 comments:

Ewa said...

I liked that pink one a lot :) and last picture rocks :)

Jane petal said...

The Paul Ecke ranch had an 80% monopoly only up to about 10 years ago when the technique of growing two varieties close together to produce 'bushy' plants was published, so now every one can do it!

Hin Man said...

I love the leaf picture, very unique color in brown with light jade green in few of them. I have been spending less time in blog visits and blogging in trying to spend more time on family and photography. Please forgive me in visiting late.

Oswegan said...

Very festive, and interesting facts.

~Oswegan

Digital Flower Pictures said...

ewa, thanks for visiting.

Dr. Petal, nice of you to stop by. Your actually right I think in terms of the wholesale plug market (US) Ecke still has about 70% of the market. There are a few new breeders that are selling plants that color earlier and have a shorter growing period which is really going to give Ecke a run at the market.

hin, nice to see you concentrating on important stuff. I am glad you found the time to visit and comment.

oswegan, thanks. It was fun for me to learn a little bit more about Poinsettias.

Lynda Lehmann said...

I've just stumbled upon your blog! You have a lot of lovely work!

I know what you mean about watermarking them. I'm always shocked when I discover my photos published, sometimes en masse, om someone else's blog or site!

How do those people sleep at night?

Diane Dehler said...

These do work well together and make for an interesting post.