Monday, December 24, 2007

Paperwhite Narcissus

Paperwhite Narcissus
Narcissus papyraceus
(nar-SIS-us)

I didn’t force any bulbs this year but in the past Paperwhites have proved to be very easy. Some people don’t like the fragrance but to me it is a welcome botanical smell. Paperwhites are native to the Mediterranean area and are hardy to USDA Zone 8. They are part of Division 8 (Tazetta) Daffodils which includes the bunch flowering Daffodils. Division 8 Daffodils have a least 3 to 4 flowers per stem and as many as 20. Paperwhites fall into the higher category and usually have a lot of flowers per stem. If you are interested in learning more about the various Daffodil divisions try this link to the American Daffodil Society.

Photo showing the bunch flowering habit of Paperwhites.

My blooms have lasted up to three or four weeks on Paperwhites before and I generally discard them after they flower. If you need instructions on forcing here is a link to White Flower Farm ‘s instruction page.

The last two photos were taken from the same group of plants. The top photo was at a local nursery.

7 comments:

Oswegan said...

Beautiful!

Merry Christmas!

~Oswegan

Ki said...

Count me in the "stinky" group. Your photos are lovely as usual but the ones we've forced all grew too leggy and fell over. Apparently some of the older varieties were purported to smell better but I haven't come across those...yet.

Chris, I hope you and your family will have a Merry Christmas and I hope to see many more great photos in the coming year.

SandyCarlson said...

Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for stopping by today.

These are wonderful photos.

I received an amaryllis for my birthday earlier this month, and my daughter and I will plant it tomorrow. I wonder about your experiences of this amazing flower.

dangkin said...

going fishing? ;)

btw, just joined WW :-)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Max-e said...

These are really beautiful flowers.
Hope you had a truly great Christmass

hpy said...

I was gardening a bit this afternoon, mostly cleaning up of course, and I could see narcissuses already sticking up their head on several places.Can these paperwhire ones be double as well? I have, or at least I used to have some of them and they are/were rather stinky.

Sandy Kessler said...

I used to have many papaerwhites in my house at Christmas but everyone complained of smell which oddly I loved !!