Friday, December 21, 2007

Harlequin Maple


Harlequin Maple
Acer platanoides 'Drummondii'
(AY-ser) (pla-tan-OY-dees)
Synonyms: Drummond’s Norway Maple

This is from a botanical scan I made this summer and I added the black background in Photoshop (CS2). This tree is really very beautiful but you have to watch for the leaves which can sometimes revert to all green. It is sterile so it does not reseed which is a major reason for not planting Norway Maple. Obviously with a name like Norway Maple it is very hardy (USDA Zone3). My particular specimen has been fairly slow growing when compared to the species. It is occasionally struck with a fungus in late summer but I have been spraying it with fungicide in the spring and that seems to stop that. If I miss the spray cycle the leaves sometimes turn brown during the summer. Plant this tree in an area where its 40 foot height and spread won’t be a problem. It can also have visible surface roots and not too many things will grow under it. I have Yellow Archangel (Lamiastrum galeobdolon) growing under mine and they both seem happy (Archangel can be invasive, plant with care) and Pachysandra will usually grow under Norway Maples. If you don’t want to use any of those try a good coat of mulch.


This is some boxed Dutch Amaryllis (Hippeastrum, hip-ee-ASS-trum) I saw at the nursery. They are pretty much a foolproof plant for the holidays and quite showy. I learned something from looking up this plant. They are not true Amaryllis. There is only on plant that belongs to that genus and it is called the Belladonna Lily (Amaryllis belladonna) or Naked Ladies. I will have to do some further research on that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I don't think that would make it in z10, but that is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely leaves - reminiscent of poinsettia - a perfect pic for this time of year! Sounds like it might be a bit high maintenance for a maple! I don't love having to spray...
The amaryllis display picture makes me hope someone puts a box like that under my tree - Those flowers are a perfect foil for midwinter blues!

Happy Holidays!!

Anonymous said...

Oopsie - that last comment was from me!

KOSTAS said...

Very good explanation, and the photograph also

Sandy Kessler said...

never sawq a harlequin maple ever thanks sandy

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Misti, I don't think it would make it down there, The last Maples I see when driving down to Florida are around Jacksonville (if I remember correctly).

Kris, thanks so much for visiting. I don't add anything these days that require regular spraying but I already have this one so I do it. It adds a lot to the garden so it is worth it.

Hope all your Christmas dreams come true!

Sandy K. and Kostas, thanks for leaving a comment.

BNS said...

I had never heard of or seen a Norway Maple before, so I'm grateful that you posted the photo of its lovely leaves.

Also, interesting to know that the popular Christmas Amaryllis isn't!. Who knew?!

Bobbie