Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Double Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum 'Summer Snowball')




Double Shasta Daisy
Leucanthemum x superbum 'Summer Snowball'
(lew-KANTH-ih-mum) (soo-PER-bum)

I have seen some interesting variations of the Shasta Daisy. This one is one of the strangest, but not in a bad way. I really had no idea what it was from a distance. The flower is a little smaller than a tennis ball and really has the appearance of a garden mum or even a dahlia. Daisies are fun. I used to think them as a bit pedestrian but they are far from that. I am using Shasta Daisy in the garden I am installing this week. When I drove in the driveway to look at the job the first thing I thought of was daises. I usually go with that kind of hunch. I ended up getting ‘Becky’ which was selected as Perennial of the Year in 2003 by The Perennial Plant Association. It is a little taller than I would have liked but there was one blooming in the nursery block and the flower looked quite large. The plants are three-gallon containers that look like they could be divided before planting. The plants looked healthy and ready for next year, which is why I got them. I haven’t grown ‘Summer Snowball’ but would give it a try. If they hadn’t been so expensive I would have got a couple on Sunday. The pure white double flowers are worth having if only for the novelty of it.

(Synonym: Chrysanthemum x superbum, Chrysanthemum maximum)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your photographs are beautiful! Please consider participating in Flower Fest. We focus on flowers whose names begin with the current letter and post photographs, sketches, doodles, digital art, paintings on our blogs. A letter stays current for 2 weeks. The current letter is C and your mum would be just perfect!