Thursday, October 26, 2006

Himalayan Ivy Vine




Himalayan Ivy Vine
Hedera nepalensis var sinensis ‘Marble Dragon’
(HED-er-uh) (nap-ahl-EN-sis)

I am glad this picture came out with kind of a soft focus because that is exactly the effect this ivy had. It was climbing up the side of the Alpine House (that is what I call it anyway) at Wave Hill Garden in the Bronx. When I Googled this plant there wasn’t too much information. The older leaves had various green markings and tones to them but it was the gold new growth that attracted me. The vines had crawled up the side of the wall and spilled onto the top of a window sill.

I have almost all my plants in the ground but I haven’t been able to locate a Bush Clover (Lespedeza thunbergii) locally. I guess I am going to have to mail order for it.

No comments: