Friday, October 06, 2006

Variegated Japanese Pieris (Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver')

Example



Variegated Japanese Pieris
Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver'
(pie-ER-iss) (juh-PON-ih-kuh)

We have been using a lot of Pieris in our landscapes for a couple of different reasons. The deer resistance is probably the number one reason, followed by the fact that they are a broadleaf evergreen. This variegated form sure is bright. I think it has a wonderful appearance but could see that it may not appeal to everyone. This is a picture of the new growth that I captured at the nursery. I have never noticed the flowers on my specimens, so I can’t comment on them. One garden I take care of has a collection of over 60 cultivars and species of Pieris and this one stand out. The worse thing about growing Pieris is the lacefly problems. They can be persistent and if you cure them on the Pieris they often head over to an alternate host like Azalea or Cotoneaster. I have found Merit to be exceptionally good battling this particular pest. Don’t let that stop you from cultivating this shrub in your garden. Since it is such an early bloomer it really stands out when the garden is barely coming to life.


(Synonyms: Andromeda, Lily of the Valley Shrub)

No comments: