Monday, October 02, 2006

Reed Orchid (Epidendrum)




Reed Orchid
Epidendrum
(ep-ih-DEN-drum)

Well I ended up going to the garden party and had a nice time. The weather cleared and it turned into a nice day. The garden was tremendous and the people we met were equally as exciting. They really had a tremendous collection of tropicals and I didn’t envy their job of removing all the plants from the ground in the next couple of weeks. Many were planted directly in the ground. The garden also had a nice collection of conifers, both dwarf and full size. I asked the owner if I could visit his garden again in the next couple of weeks and see it without all the people and tents and he agreed. That is something I will look forward too.

This picture is one I found as I was cleaning up my hard drive. It is from the New York Botanical Garden’s Orchid show this spring. That was quite a show as they were hundreds of thousands of orchid flowers. I don’t know enough about orchids. I do have a lot of respect for the flowers and the people that grow them. As I remember this was tagged ‘Reed Orchids’ but I failed to write down the species. These orchids are recommended and easy to care for (according to my research). It just brings back that welcome feeling I had in the spring when I walked into the Conservatory and saw and smelled all those flowers.

No comments: