Thursday, October 05, 2006

Red Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit)




Red Cypress Vine
Ipomoea quamoclit
(ip-oh-MEE-uh) (KWAM-oh-klit)

This was taken at the garden party on Sunday but I have grown this one before. It seems if you grow it once you are going to have it again and again as it self-seeds. In some areas it is considered invasive. It hasn’t been a problem and it has kept itself to one little area. The blooms are small but brightly covered and the lacy foliage is easy on the eyes. I didn’t know that this plant was in the same genus as Morning Glory but it kind of makes sense. This year I had one growing with my Heavenly Blue Morning Glory. I enjoyed the contrasts between the two plants. Lets just say they were both vigorous.

(Synonyms: Hummingbird Vine, Cardinal Creeper (actually a different plant)

No comments: