Monday, April 20, 2009

Garden Stock


Garden Stock
Matthiola incana 'Vintage Mix
(ma-the-OH-luh) (in-KAN-nuh)
Synonyms: Ten-week Stock, Gillyflower

For the first time in a long time we planted some Stocks this year. I hadn’t seen them in awhile and we decided to try 6 plants in with one of our Pansies pots. So far they have been nice. They seemed to be able to take some pretty cold nights. The mix has produced dark pink, white, peach and lavender colored flowers.

Stocks are a wonderfully fragrant cool season annual. ‘Vintage Mix’ grows to about 18 inches tall. They are easy to grow from seeds although mine were bought in 4 inch pots. It is an excellent cut flower.

4 comments:

Regina said...

A nice flower.

DeniseinVA said...

So lovely, a very nice photo and I want to thank you for sharing it on Today's Flowers.

Les said...

This was one of the first plants I grew from seeds as an adult gardener. I love the fragrance.

Lynn said...

I have never even seen this plant, I just bought some seeds and they arrived yesterday. How funny you had it on here.They look beautiful I'm going to start them tonight.Great Picture, I'm excited... Have a great day!