Monday, March 12, 2012

Gladiolus



Hybrid Gladiolus
Gladiolus x hortulanus
(GLAD-ee-oh-lus) (hor-tew-LAY-nus)


It was a pleasure to see this Glad blooming at the farm last year. When I saw it I realized I hadn’t seen a Gladiolus in many years. It brought many memories of my childhood when we grew crops of Glads on benches. Even as a little kid the colors astounded me. This flower has a little bit of that color magic. It’s funny when you get older and have been doing the same thing that things change and different tastes evolve. I did remember why I stopped growing Gladiolus, which was all the flopping over they did in the garden.

Gladiolus is a flower that has been around for a long time. The symbolism of strength and moral integrity has long been associated with the flowers. They have also symbolized infatuation, and the sword like leaves (where the plant gets its name) were suppose to pierce the heart of the recipient’s heart with passion.

2 comments:

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful gladiolus.

Regards and best wishes

Felicia @ No Deposit Poker said...

I normally encounter Gladiolus flowers that have solid colors. This one is the first time I've seen in an unusual coloration. Thanks for sharing!