Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lobster Claws



Lobster Claws
Heliconia x pabstii
(hel-ih-KOH-nee-uh)

These are such cool flowers. The bright orange/red parts are bracts (modified leaves) and the actual flowers come out of the white bits. There really wasn’t a lot of information about this species of Heliconia available. I would love to be able to grow some of these. It is such a broad genus that really brings some spectacular flowers to the world. Since I read that they do pretty well in containers it would be nice to score one for the estate.

Sunday again so bonus snapshot. This is picture of an Acacia tree in bloom.


Sweet Acacia
Acacia minuta
(a-KAY-see-uh) (min-YOO-tuh)
Synonyms: Mimosa Bush, Sweet Wattle, Huisache, Acacia farnesiana

One thing I learned about this tree is that it is native to parts of the Southern United States. Watch out for those thorns!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice. Don't believe I
have ever seen any mimosa bloom yellow

Arena Shawn said...

I love this one's unusual shape and vivid color, and was wondering whether I could have your permission to paint it? Again, I won't do it without your permission. Thanks!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Arena don't worry go ahead. I am glad it inspired you. Thanks for asking.

Arena Shawn said...

Thank you very much for your permission! Your flowers are truly inspirational. I just hope I can capture the same beauty with my brush. I will let you know when it's finished, and of course credit the photo when posting it on my blog. Thanks again!

Arena Shawn said...

I've started the painting and right now it's just the first washes of the background foliage. The post is here: http://arenashawn.blogspot.com/2012/08/work-in-progress-sun-dance-getting.html.

I've added link to this photo in my post. Thanks again for letting me use this beautiful photo as reference!