Friday, July 20, 2012

Patriot Salmon Geranium


Zonal Geranium
Pelargonium x hortorum 'Patriot Salmon'
(pe-lar-GO-nee-um) (hor-TOR-um)


The Geraniums have been doing nicely despite the heat and lack of rain. Normally we wouldn’t have made such a big planting of them but the client insisted and it turned out nicely. This salmon colored one has been mixing well with some red, white and a few orange colored flowers. Modern Geraniums seem so much better than the types we used in the beginning of my career. Truly a classic and livening up my summer nicely.

In a certain sign my life has come full circle recently while talking to a client she mentioned her 15 year old son had begun playing the guitar and that he was saving up for a Gibson Les Paul. That of course reminded me of the two summers I had spent saving everything in the early 1980’s to buy my Stratocaster. Still remember all those summer days of pushing my lawn mower all over the neighborhood to get the money and the guitar, which I still have and cherish (turned out to be a pretty good investment too). So I mentioned that she should bring him over to band practice sometime and have the young guy play with us. It was one of those things that I thought in the back of mind that probably wouldn’t happen but it did. He came over and jammed with us. At first I thought it might be a little awkward but it ended up being a lot of fun. He brought a youthful excitement that we had never seen in that band room before. He is a pretty good player and will probably be useful for a few songs live.


No comments: