Saturday, September 23, 2006




Beavertail Cactus
Opuntia basilaris
(op-UN-shee-uh) (bas-il-LAIR-iss)

I came across this Cactus at the Valley of the Fires just outside of Las Vegas. It is easy to see where it got its name as the pads are shaped just like a beaver’s tail. I have to hand it to any plant that grows where I found this one. Don’t let the lack of apparent spines fool you this Cactus means business with thousands of hair-like spines, called glochids. I found the color to be a nice contrast to the dusty red soil and surroundings. I guess that it has brilliant pink flowers in the late winter and early spring.

The Valley of the Fires is about 30 miles northeast of Las Vegas and has some wonderful red rock formations. This is Nevada’s oldest and largest state park. Average rainfall is about 4 inches per year. I liked it because many of the nicely colored formations were literally right on the side of the road and very accessible. The $5 entrance fee is more than worth it. Lake Mead is only six miles away and is a beautiful contrast to the landscape.

No comments: