Thursday, September 07, 2006




Syrphid fly
(Toxomerus geminatus)

This picture of an adult female Syrphid fly (Toxomerus geminatus) was taken as it visited a late blooming Allium species in the Gazebo Garden. While the garden is cataloged I couldn’t find the name of the Allium. It is growing right above a dry stonewall in harsh conditions but blooms beautifully. I have seen the Hoover flies in the garden and wondered a bit about how they fit in the scheme of things. First off they are beneficial insect. The larvae feed on aphids, thrips and other insects. They can consume several hundred in a month. The adults feed only on nectar and pollen. The clever colorings on the adults are to mimic a bee or wasp to discourage birds and other predators. They seem to be a lot of Hoover flies this year; maybe that is why I didn’t see too many aphids. I will now look at this little insect more as a friend than an enemy.

Things are a little slow at work. Yesterday I was pruning all day. I had to make some tough cuts. As some of the gardens I care mature there are some difficult decisions to be made. One thing I have noticed is that you have to prune and maintain the edges of the garden. Otherwise before you know it the woods try and take over again. The edges are an important part of any garden and how the garden blends into the woods can make or break it. For my type of natural gardening a smooth transition makes all the difference.

2 comments:

Christa said...

I just found your beautiful blog and I've bookmarked it. I am trying to learn macro photography and your photos are an inspiration. Everything looks so gorgeous!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

christa,
Thanks for the nice comments. We certainly are having a good year in the garden.