Thursday, September 21, 2006




Floribunda Rose ‘Gene Boerner’
Parentage: Ginger x (Ma Perkins x Garnette Supreme)

This is Floribunda Rose ‘Gene Boerner’ which was named after the famous hybridizer Eugene Boerner. Many consider him the father of the modern Floribunda rose. During his career, which was spent almost entirely at Jackson and Perkins Mr. Boerner introduced over 60 roses including 11 AARS winners. This was the last rose he bred and was it was named in his honor. Among other roses he introduced were ‘Aloha’, ‘John F. Kennedy’, ‘Diamond Jubliee’ and ‘First Prize’. He was from Wisconsin and specialized in breeding cold hardy roses. I have been growing several of his roses and this is one I would recommend for any garden.

I am back from Las Vegas, it took all day yesterday to return to Connecticut. I will try and publish a few pictures of the trip over the next couple of days. I got to meet some of the Las Vegas Fire Department when I was stuck in an elevator for about 30 minutes. Thankfully they got it working again.

No comments: