Friday, September 15, 2006




Princess Flower
Tibouchina urvilleana
(tib-OO-kee-nuh) (ur-VIL-ah-nuh)
(syn. Glory Flower)

This flower has been very frustrating to photograph. That is contrary to its easy, free flowering cultivation. Since it is not hardy I am growing it in a container and have been trying to get a picture of the flower all season. Not everyday or anything like that but enough times that I was beginning to think I wouldn’t get one. I did something that I do when I have trouble photographing a subject. I used the preset sport mode on my D70s. It has a fast shutter with a shallow depth of field so I gave it a try and came up with this picture. I used my 60mm Micro-Nikkor lens. I usually use Aperture Priority and set the depth of field and let the camera set the shutter speed it seems a little smarter than me most of the time. I am manually focusing about 90% of my shots.

The Princess flower is a great addition to any garden. I saw it growing outside in Northern California and it really looked good. I have not had a lot of disease or insect problems and it has produced a lot of flowers through all phases of the season. Its velvety dark green foliage is nice too. I am going to try and take it in again this year. Two years ago I had a pair that I tried to over winter in the greenhouse but they didn’t have a regular watering schedule and didn’t make it. For a while inside it bloomed and grew nicely so that gives me a little hope. If it doesn’t make it I will get a new one next year so people will keep asking me what is that beautiful purple plant.

“Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”
Abraham Lincoln

3 comments:

Ki said...

Very beautiful photos. I wish I could do as well. Keep them coming. I can see why you use a watermark.

Ki said...

Forgot to ask. What kind of camera do you use and how do you get the beautiful lighting?

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi there, I use Nikon cameras. I use mostly the D70s w/60mm Nikkor lens. I have a couple of Nikon Coolpix cameras, a 8400 and 5600, both are great for macro work. The lighting is what makes a good picture. I shoot alot of pictures at work and can watch the sun until it gets in the right position. Thanks for the nice comments.