Wednesday, February 06, 2008

ABC Wednesday – C is for Camellia

Camellia japonica 'Debutante'

ABC Wednesday – C is for Camellia

If you’re here for Wordless Wednesday please scroll down to the next post.

These pictures are from the Camellia House at Planting Fields Arboretum. I think it is one of the largest collections of Camellias under glass (about 300 plants) in the world. The plants, which are mostly Camellia japonica are planted in the ground and maintained to a high standard. C. sinencis, C. sasanqua and C. reticulata are also represented in the collection.



Two of the most prominent firms in American Landscape Architecture designed the house (A. Robeson Sargent and the Olmstead Brothers), which housed the Camellia plants the owner brought back from the Isle of Guernsey in 1917.


Camellias like to grow in cool conditions and this thermometer shows that the temperature was 48 degrees F (9 C) inside. I call this a Minimum/Maximum thermometer, although there is probably a more technical term for it. It shows the same current temperature on both sides. The small lines indicate the lowest temperature since the last reset on the left side and the highest on the right side. For instance when I looked at the thermometer at work the other day, which I hadn’t reset in a few months, it read that we had a high temperature of 63 F (17 C) and a low of 6 F (-14 C). Quite a range and illustrative of the winter roller coaster we have been riding here. Back to the Camellia House thermometer, it shows a high temperature of 59 F (15 C) and a low of 41 F (5 C).

Growing Camellias is about keeping them cool and imitating their native Korean, Japanese, and Chinese mountain habitat. They must be kept cool to bloom properly. Too much heat and the buds will fall off. They do best in a North or East window or some shade outside as they can get sunburned. There are several more hardy varieties coming to market for Zone 7 gardeners and I saw that Planting Fields had numerous ones planted outside. Maybe they will make a Zone 6 plant soon.


I saw these cracked clay pots and couldn’t resist the double ‘c’.


Here is the ABC Wednesday Blogroll. I have added some new blogs at the end. It seems to be growing and I hope I have time to visit everyone.


34 comments:

FO - 2 said...

Lovely Camellia! :)))
I like the cracked pottery as well. Nice shot.
Happy ABC! :)

Anonymous said...

We live in Georgia but we mostly have Azaleas. Grampy would love to have his own Arboretum!

kml said...

You captured it's softness so beautifully! Those cracked pots are great!

Ki said...

Lovely photos of the camellias. Thanks for posting them.

Rune Eide said...

Beautiful flowers and interesting information. The Camelias ought to thrive here along the Horth Sea.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful flowers. I dont think we have them here in tropics.

Daryl said...

I was WOW over the flower .. but the clay pots really are wonderful

mrsnesbitt said...

Beautiful, really beautiful!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Very beautiful

ArneA said...

I am not on your list, but still like to visit your site

dot said...

I can never decide which color I like best. My mother has some beautiful red ones in her yard but this pink is very nice also.

VP said...

Lovely pictures as usual. I see we're both Blotanists too :)

We can't grow Camellias round here as the soil pH is too high, unless they're put in pots with ericaceous soil.

Neva said...

I love your flowers and information. I am not much of a gardener...I am the designated weeder and I don't do that so very well.....good "C".

Phillip Oliver said...

One of my favorite flowers and your photography certainly does them justice. Keep em coming!

HildeS/Frøken Fryd said...

Camelia is a beautiful flower:)

photowannabe said...

Love the cracked pots and thanks for explaining about camillias. Mine are doing well and seem to like where they were planted.

Jean M Fogle said...

My husband keeps telling me we can grow Camillias now. WE live in the mtns of Va and are a zone 6a. I would love to grow them, on the way to the beach we saw them everywhere.
I also love the cracked clay Containers!

Dragonstar said...

Camelias are so beautiful. I wonder if I could row some.

I love the Cracked Clay!

Miss_Yves said...

Wonderful!
miss Yves

Anne-Berit said...

Beautyful flower,a very good c:)

Ewa said...

cammelias on your pictures look like live :) very very nice C
cracked pots are also very interesting C

Barbara said...

I enjoyed your post with all the information, what a beautiful photo of a camellia and the one on Monday.

NYCindividual said...

Beautiful Colors!

Andrea said...

I love this flower. I have always wanted one of these but never have got one......yet.

Anonymous said...

Seeing this post makes me realize how lucky I am to have a dozen or so camellias (including 'Debutante') at bloom in my garden today - your images are beautiful (and what a gorgeous indoor camellia garden!).

Annie said...

I have a beautiful little Camille of my own, my granddaughter.

CC said...

I love your photos and the broken clay pots..I like that photo especially.
Thanks for letting me visit..
Cizzie aka CC

Anonymous said...

The black and whites are just stunning.
My grandmother used to grow these and always said that you had to be careful with the petals because they bruised easily.

Thanks for the advice regarding my C photo, I've put up the colour version as well.

RUTH said...

Such a pretty camellia. I have a white one still in bud at the moment. Love the cracked pots photo :o)

Pete M said...

You always take such nice photos, love the pink

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Lovely Flower the Camellia.

I really like the b&w photo.

Really nice photos and information.

Have a Blessed Happy Fun
Creative Healthy Year!!!

Diane Dehler said...

These camellia's are exquisite! Such a lovely post. Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog in January. I am catching up with my favorite blogs and glad that I came to see yours. It always lifts my spirits. This is the year that I am going to try to grow a few chrysanthemums. I believe that you mentioned an easy type for me to start with and sadly to say forgot what it was. Perhaps you will remember.
Best Wishes

Paulie said...

Certainly beautiful Camellias! I loved the cracked pots photo also!!!!!

Max-e said...

Like all you pictures another beatiful shot. Pity about the old clay pots - we only get plastic ones now.