Friday, February 22, 2008

Chinese Scholar Garden





Chinese Scholar Garden
Staten Island, New York

This is really Part Two for pictures of my trip to the Staten Island Botanical Garden. The first post is here with some more black and white photos and some information on the garden.



These pictures were all shoot with my compact (point and shoot camera) Nikon 8400 camera. The black and whites were from a series of doorway and hall photos I tried at the garden. I think I had limited success on the doors but there were a lot of photo opportunities at the garden. The grounds outside of the walled off Chinese Garden are full of interesting plants and it is a well tended garden. The pictures were shot on the monochrome setting and are not conversions.

My visit was in September and that feels so far away from now as it is snowing like heck outside now. They say 10 inches but at these rates we are looking at a foot or more. Significant ice is also expected and then a turn back to snow. I was hoping to get back to work full time next week but I really should have known better. I am not complaining about the snow itself as we have had hardly any this year.

Here are two quotes that kind of sum up how I am feeling.


"Why, what's the matter,
That you have such a February face,
So full of frost, of storm and cloudiness?"

William Shakespeare
Much Ado About Nothing

"Every gardener knows that under the cloak of winter lies a miracle,
a seed waiting to sprout, a bulb opening to the light, a bud straining to unfurl.
And the anticipation nurtures our dream."

Barbara Winkler



This a building I took a snapshot of on the way from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal to the Subway in Lower Manhattan.

1 comment:

Diane Dehler said...

What a perfect garden to meditate or contemplate in. It reminds me of the San Francisco Tea Garden. If you are interested I have a post on it in my archives.

I enjoyed visiting this garden via your wonderful photos and posts. Good work.