Monday, February 04, 2008

Calanthe Orchids



Calanthe Orchid
(kal-AN-thee)

The Orchid collection at Planting Fields was beautiful and bountiful. There were some that I hadn’t seen before and some common ones. These two Calanthe Orchids were really out in force and I couldn’t help snapping a few photos as I strolled by. The first two pictures are Calanthe ‘William Murray’. I didn’t find much reference material on this cultivar but did find out that the genus Calanthe has about 200 species, most of which are native to Asia. The 200 species includes both evergreen and deciduous plants. That is a new one on me, as I didn’t know there were any deciduous Orchids.

Calanthe ‘William Murray’

Here is a link to the best article I found. It includes some history and detailed repotting instructions:
merkles orchids.com

This plant’s tag said Calanthe ‘rosea’

On Friday I decided to get out my Nikon Coolpix 5400 and maybe use it over the weekend. When I turned it on the Auto focus light was blinking and the monitor was black. It would snap a picture with the flash and all the controls seem to work but no pictures. I searched for problems with the 5400 and found my camera had the dreaded BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death). I found a service advisory on Nikon USA saying to send it into them and they will fix it for free. I am going to package it up today or tomorrow and see what happens. This is the first serious technical issue I have had with a Nikon camera ( and I have several) that wasn’t self induced. This is fairly amazing when you consider what my equipment goes through. I am interested to see how the customer service is on this issue and will post the results.

1 comment:

DigitalShutterMania said...

Great information about Calanthe Orchid. Awesome close up photos via Nikon Coolpix 5400. I have my compact digital camera, Nikon Coolpix 3100, that can capture the great close up shots.