Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Festival of Roses ~ Day Eleven ~ ABC Wednesday

Hybrid Tea Rose 'Legend'

Festival of Roses ~ Day Eleven ~ ABC Wednesday

2007 Digital Flower Pictures.com Festival of Roses Continues

Happy ABC Wednesday to all.

Today’s featured rose is the Hybrid Tea, Legend. It was bred by William Warriner, who I think, has become my favorite rose breeder. Jackson and Perkins and Mr. Warriner are quite a team. ‘Legend’ is a beautiful rose that seemed to me to be classic in every sense of the word. Just a straight ahead red rose with nice sized flowers growing on long stems. Dark green glossy foliage completes the package.

Some facts on Legend:
Class: Hybrid Tea
Origin: William A. Warriner, US, 1992
U.S. Introduction: Jackson & Perkins Co.
Petal Count: 45
Fragrance: Strong, Fruity
Parentage: Grand Masterpiece × Seedling
Synonyms: JACtop

Here is something I hadn’t seen the actual Patent document for a rose variety:
click here

Keeping with my Rose Festival so far I thought I would post at least a couple of ‘L’ roses. This next one is a cute little bugger that I saw in the Bronx. I almost missed as the other shrub roses were kind of smothering it. It is actually a Floribunda rose. I was kind of neutral about white roses but they are actually very beautiful particularly when the light strikes them right.

Floribunda Rose 'Lion's Fairy Tale'
Origin: W. Kordes & Sons., Germany, 2002
U.S. Introduction: Ashdown Roses, 2007
Fragrance: Mild Sweet
Synonyms: Champagne Moment, KORvanaber, Lions-Rose

Pioneer Shrub Rose F. J. Lindheimer

I took the pictures of this rose on Saturday. It is a Pioneer Shrub Rose called F. J. Lindheimer. It was really nice for a shrub rose, growing on a semi-compact bush with clean recurved foliage. The colors vary with the seasonal temperatures.


I think I will wrap up the festival tomorrow. I am running out of rose photos and I need to try and capture some of the fall flowers and foliage before they are gone.

Here are some of the other blogs that are participating in ABC Wednesday. If you want to join let me know and I will add your link.




Not all the blogs are participating each week but most are.

22 comments:

Mike said...

I'm in danger of repeating myself again here but as always stunning photography. I really like your Honey Bee and the Shrub Rose ‘Rhapsody in Blue' photo. Fantastic stuff.

Hootin Anni said...

Your photos are just absolutely breathtaking.

Thanks for visiting with me and my W W 'haunted' share this week.

kml said...

In the last photo the rose looks like it is glowing - absolutely stunning!

Enjoyed your Rose series!

Melody A. said...

You have found your calling. Those are beautiful. I didn't realize that there are so many statistics associated with just one rose. I have a bush called the Angel Face rose. It's not the most stunning of roses but I got it for the name.

Ali said...

As always, fantastic photography. I also love the Elizabeth Taylor photo for your WW post. Isn't it just fantastic and the lighting is perfect.

dot said...

Your flower pictures are always beautiful! I'm not able to post today but I'll catch up when I get home.

Anonymous said...

Your roses and other flowers are stunning! I do love flowers too, and you capture them beautifully:-)

Sandee said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Have a great WW. :)

WalksFarWoman said...

DFP - My jaw always drops in appreciation and I let out a little gasp when your page reveals itself. I hope your photo's are are being published in some form, they are incredible.

RUTH said...

I've finally caught up with your Festival Roses..they are all so perfect and you've captured them beautifully. You could do a collage of them for the letter R :o)

photowannabe said...

Beautiful Legend rose for ABC Wednesday. I enjoyed looking through your festival of roses.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chris,

Hybrid tea roses are stunning - and so are your shots, my friend!

Mr. Mapper said...

Love the roses!

Jean M Fogle said...

I have loved looking at your pics of the roses, I can almost smell them now

Siani said...

Beautiful pics - I love the scent of roses. Happy WW!

Hin Man said...

I can't keep up with your beautiful rose pictures. I always wonder how you take all those lovely flower shots. I am not a macro person but I can certainly appreciate the visit to your flower shots. Do you happen to use a tripod and flash on your work? It is a newbie question that I have to ask as I have neither a tripod and flash in my gear. Great photos!!! Cheers to you. For my 50mm f/1.4, I only use it at f/2.0 and I will think f/1.8 will do just fine, my f/1.4 is soft wide open and it become sharper at f/1.8 and after. So f/1.8 will do just fine, I think.

AVCr8teur said...

Beautiful flower pictures as usual. I see a bunch of little flowers inside the rose. When I try to take macro shots, it never fails that the wind starts kicking in.

Annie in Austin said...

I've been enjoying your rose festival, too, DFF - the variety is amazing and your photos are always lovely.

Lindheimerii is a species name for several native Texas plants like Gaura ... wonder if the rose is named for the same person?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Pete M said...

Once again, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi hin,

No tripod which is a hassle in the garden. No flash either though I am thinking of getting a Speedlight. Thanks for the advice on the lens, you have cemented my decision. One of my secrets is I have access to the flowers.

Hi annie, glad you could make it over. I am pretty sure the plants are named after the same guy. He was a German botanist that lived in Texas.

To everyone else, especially the ABC crew thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

Once again Gorgeous! I love the red in the first rose, so rich and luscious.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi nichole, the red was even better in person but the camera did a pretty good job capturing the richness of it. In a garden full of various roses 'Show Biz' has been able to stand out with not only its color but the fact it just loves to bloom.