Thursday, October 04, 2007

Rose Festival Day Five ~ Hybrid Teas Again

Hybrid Tea Rose 'Milestone'

Rose Festival Day Five ~ Hybrid Teas Again

2007 Digital Flower Pictures.com Festival of Roses Continues

Since I have several more rose photographs to post after this one the Rose Festival will continue. I have to visit the large Rose Garden I am tending to tomorrow so it could be another photo opportunity. I have enjoyed going through the photos and getting information on the roses. I discussed several Hybrid Teas a couple of days ago and since they are my favorite and seem to be the most photogenic I am posting a few more.

This first rose is Milestone, a rose I have been seeing a lot of. I think it will definitely be on my list when I add the 35 roses next year. My list is already helplessly too long, which is okay as I should be able to find some of the varieties on the list and won’t be disappointed if I can’t get others. I always try and buy the healthiest looking plants and not the name though. I would rather have a rose that I never heard of that was healthy and bloomed well then one I wanted that was an underperformer. I am going over the varieties in the garden tomorrow and hope to start working on my wish list.



Milestone, which I mistakenly thought was called Millstone is a beautiful red blend rose. Millstone wouldn’t be a great name for a rose when I thought about it later. The blooms go through several color changes as it emerges and they are hard to describe. The buds start out bright red and then go to kind of a coral pink with a white center. The flowers seem to be a little redder during the summer, probably due to the stronger sunlight. The leaves are a nice color red when new, hardening off to a glossy green. ‘Milestone’ has some impressive ancestors including some roses that I love. Crimson Glory, South Seas, Spellbinder and Tropicana to name a few.

'Milestone' facts:
Origin: William Warriner, US, 1983
Introduction: Jackson and Perkins
Petal Count: 40
Fragrance: Mild
Parentage: Sunfire × Spellbinder
Synonyms: JACles

‘Chrysler Imperial’

I know I said before that I wouldn’t be posting any ‘classic’ Hybrid Teas but I couldn’t resist a quick shot of ‘Chrysler Imperial’. I have grown this rose and found it be wonderful in both flower and form. For a few years I didn’t cut it back and it ended up over 8 feet tall. It is getting cut back this however. A beautiful deep red this rose was bred by Dr. Walter Lammerts in 1952. Its five-inch blooms have a strong fragrance and a petal count of 45 to 50. My friend’s family had a Chrysler Imperial it was your basic land yacht!

I was going to post a picture of ‘Grande Amore’ until I found out it is a deep red rose and my picture is of a kind of apricot colored rose so it is back to the drawing board on that one. So as a quick cop out I will post this classic, beautiful Hybrid Tea called ‘Double Delight’. It was only introduced in 1977 and has found its way into rose gardener's hearts already. A young classic to be sure, but a classic just the same.

Hybrid Tea rose 'Double Delight'

Origin: A.E. & A.W. Ellis/ Herbert C. Swim, US, 1977
Introduction: Jackson and Perkins
Petal Count: Double. 17-25
Fragrance: Strong
Parentage: Granada × Garden Party
Synonyms: Andeli
All-American Rose Selection 1977

3 comments:

Mike said...

Fantastic pictures again. you'll have to let me into the secret of what camera and lens you use.

Phillip Oliver said...

I love 'Double Delight' - it is close to the top of my list. I don't grow many hybrid teas anymore but I've always had this one.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi mike, thanks for stopping by. I am going to make my way over to your place to see if you posted a 'K' picture.

phillip, I will have to agree with you, could probably be in my top five of the more popular roses. My "Double Delight was funny yesterday. 10 blooms, 8 spent flowers and the worst looking diseased foliage. What's up with that?