Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Kiku ~ Part 2

Chrysanthemum 'Sparkling Cheryl'

Kiku ~ Part 2
Chrysanthemum Festival at the New York Botanical Garden, 2007

Having had a little more time to reflect on the exhibit I came to the conclusion it was very special. These are a few more pictures I took on Sunday. The Black and White was taken with my Point and Shoot Nikon Coolpix 8400. I probably should have just shot with that all day. I sometimes forget how good of a camera it is. I should probably take better care of it. I must admit that when my wife inserted the flash card the wrong way (she didn’t just insert it wrong, jammed in there would be closer) that the camera was cooked. It came back from the repair shop just as good as new and has been working great ever since. I sometimes forget to take it out of the bag and use it. I am so used to using the DSLR now.


Two views of the Cascade Chrysanthemums at the Kiku Exhibit.

The benefit I performed at last Thursday raised over $4,000 for the young widow and the 2 year-old twins. That made me feel good. I must admit playing out has got me thinking about maybe joining up with a band again. I will have to think about it. I gave away two pictures for one of the raffles. They were left over from my Photography Show in Ridgefield last year. The people that won said they would like to buy a few more prints, which is okay with me!

Giant Bamboo Sculpture

Not my finest hour with a camera but I thought you might like to see the giant spider Chrysanthemum 'Morning Clouds'

I had to switch my feed to ‘short’ and send out a couple of emails to some scrapers that were using this site’s content illegally. I hope they stop. A special heads up to Mr. Brown Thumb for pointing out that they were scraping me.
Mr. Brown Thumb (misnomer) is a Chicago based garden blogger that has a wonderful site. Check it out.

Courtyard of the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory at the New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY.

I have to take my camera to work today. I forgot about ABC Wednesday and I need an ‘N’ shot. Uh-oh, I don’t think anything is really blooming that well at work. I might have to dip into the archive.

4 comments:

Ki said...

Fantastic displays of kiku. I have to make it a point to visit the NYBG one of these days.

Priscilla George said...

Those are some interesting ways to shape flowers. That bamboo sculpture is very interesting. I think it's nice to make a sculptures out of nature. I'm glad your gig went good and all that money was raised. It always feels good knowing what you are doing is helping someone. Do you sell any of your photo prints online or just at shows? I love your photography!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Ki,

Definitely worth the pilgrimage. You can always find something of interest in the three main seasons.

VL, thanks for visiting again. I do sell the the prints from my other website but it is a little bit of a clunky interface. I want to set up an online store this winter.

Diane Dehler said...

The flowing cascades are impressive. I understand in Japan that they make "dolls" out of thousands of blooms for certain festivals like "girl's day." Needless to say it is a dying art form. I enjoyed these photos as well as the long shot of the garden. Sorry, about that camera.