Friday, October 05, 2007

Rose Festival Day Six ~ Tropicana and Others

Bud of Hybrid Tea Rose 'Tropicana'

Rose Festival Day Six ~ Tropicana and Others

2007 Digital Flower Pictures.com Rose Festival ~ Day Six


As important as the Festival of Rose is :lol:, I have a lot of work correspondence to send out so today will be a short post. I went over to the Rose Garden at the farm yesterday and I had to deadhead about 150 flowers and there were probably a couple hundred flowers blooming. So I deadheaded the spent blooms and pruned off any diseased foliage. In general things were looking pretty good. I saw the owner and she was happy so I was happy. I made a list of the roses and figured out what I am going to need next spring before the winter takes its toll. It is a very exposed elevated site with lots of wind and even after winter protection they have at least 25 roses each year. I hope to cut that down a bit on my first winter. The problem as I explained to the owner is the garden is in a cold pocket of Zone 6 and most of the roses are rated for Zone 7.


I was able to get a few photographs and I took some pictures of some of the unidentified ones. I hope to look around and see if I can get the names. I decided that since there are seven ‘Tropicana’ bushes that I would do a little series of the bud, half-open and the full blown flower. Of course I had to try a few abstracts, too. I don’t really have a favorite rose. I like far too many to try and pin down that much, however ‘Tropicana’ would have to be in the top ten. I just the love the color. So I am excited to post the four pictures of this rose. This is exactly what I set out to accomplish with this blog: to take a picture the day before and post the next day. It was meant to get me out shooting and boy has it ever. I have to count the weekend as one of the shooting days because sometimes I am unable to get any pictures during the week. It takes a lot of pictures to run this place. I guess that I could be posting one a day but that would be a lesser challenge.


Abstract of 'Tropicana'

Here are some facts about ‘Tropicana’:
Class: Hybrid Tea
Origin: Mathias Tantau, Germany, 1960
U.S. Introduction: Jackson and Perkins, 1962
Petal Count: 30-35
Fragrance: Strong
Parentage: Seedling 5135 (Tantau/'Super Star') × Seedling
Synonyms: Super Star, TANorstar
All-American Rose Selection 1963, RNRS Gold Medal (Royal National Rose Society) 1960, Portland Gold Medal, 1961.

Floribunda Rose 'Moondance'
Class: Hybrid Tea
Origin: Dr. Keith W. Zary, US
U.S. Introduction: Jackson & Perkins Co., 2007
Petal Count: 26-40
Fragrance: Moderate
Parentage: Princess Alice × Iceberg
Synonyms: JACtanic
All-American Rose Selection 2007


Moondance Post, August 14,2006


I took the ‘Moondance’ photo yesterday and the Cherry Parfait picture on Saturday at the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden. Click the links to see another picture on previous posts.

Grandiflora Rose 'Cherry Parfait'
Class: Grandiflora
Origin: Meilland International, France, 2000
U.S. Introduction: Conard-Pyle/Star Roses, 2003
Petal Count: 35-40
Fragrance: Mild
Parentage: Seed: MEIchoiju Pollen: MEIdanu × MACman
Synonyms: Jubilé du Prince de Monaco, MEISPONG, MEIsponge
All-American Rose Selection 2003

Another Cherry Parfait picture:
Cherry Parfait Post, January 16, 2007

Here are some of the lyrics to Bob Weir’s song, Festival:

Hey, if crazy's what you want, there's way too much to miss, If you're looking for romance, well you can find this,
Or maybe some adventure, maybe with a little twist, down at the festival
Plenty color in the sun, but look out for the shade,
If you're lookin' for some fun, you got it made, down at the festival
Don't need no excuse to have a parade, down at the festival
Everyone's a different breed, fast and loose is in style,
You won't get far on greed, or on bluff or on guile, down at the festival
Most anything you need, you can get it with a smile, at the festival

4 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

I needed to feed my soul before I jump into my first class, so I stopped by for a look. These are amazing, as usual. Thanks!

Anna said...

Hi! I am a fellow blogger....if I send you a couple of images do you think you could identify two flowers for me?

Thanks.

Anna

Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive one of your old posts which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!

Sue

PS - Super photos. I'm green with envy

Digital Flower Pictures said...

sandy, you're welcome, glad I could help.

anna, I am going to visit your blog.

sue, I try and dig something up. It sounds like a great idea.