Thursday, October 11, 2007

Festival of Roses ~ Grand Finale ~ A Dozen Roses

‘Show Biz’ a Floribunda rose that has been blooming all summer on short and stout plants (2 feet tall). All-America Rose Selection in 1985.

Festival of Roses ~ Grand Finale ~ A Dozen Roses

Day Twelve of the Digital Flower Pictures.com Rose Festival

Scroll down for today's Wordless Wednesday post.

I would like to thank everybody who visited this site during the Rose Festival. Thanks for leaving the comments and encouragement. I learned a lot about roses and I hope you learned a little bit and maybe will be inspired to try some of these great roses. Rose culture isn’t that hard to get the hang of especially with today’s disease resistant varieties. You do have to keep after them and I know that isn’t for some people. So for today I have decided to post a dozen roses, you'll have to count the 'Sunset Celebration' Wordless Post below. I tried to crush the pictures down as small as possible but it is still going to be a lot.

Here we go (some of the roses have been posted before during the Festival and on this site. These are all new views of the varieties and most varieties are making their first appearance):

‘Eureka’, a beautiful Apricot blend rose introduced in 2003. Won the All-America Rose Selection the same year.

‘Ultimate Pink’, Jackson & Perkins 1999 Rose of the Year. Hybrid Tea rose.

‘The Fairy’, a pink Polyantha rose developed in the 1930’s. Still a strong performer and a good landscape rose.

‘Gene Boerner’, bred by and named after Gene ("Papa Floribunda") Boerner. AARS award in 1969.

‘Escapade’, a highly disease resistant Floribunda Rose.

‘Playboy’, 1976 introduction from Scotland.

‘Melody Perfume’ a French rose bred in 1992 and introduced into the US in 1997. Strong fragrance.

‘Republic of Texas’, a Pioneer Rose introduced in 2006. You would think Texas would have a bigger more grand rose named after it.

‘Charlotte Armstrong’, the second oldest rose on this list. Breakthrough breeding in 1940 and All-America Rose Selection in 1941. Hybrid Tea.

This is an unknown pink rose growing at the farm. Let me know if you recognize it.

I am going to take Friday off from this blog and pick it up again on Saturday, hopefully with some fall flowers. Since I have been focusing on the roses I will have to see what is blooming. I want to get some seasonal pictures, too. Happy rose growing.

10 comments:

lv2scpbk said...

Stop and smell the roses. I love the smell of them and they look wonderful here too.

Anonymous said...

I've loved your rose festival!
I think the yellow rose of Texas (now I'm humming the song) is a beautiful one. Subtle and frilly which is Texas in a way, the out of the way places after you see the in your face Texas.

Perhaps if I ever get things together I will do an orchid one.

SandyCarlson said...

These are as sensuous as any O'Keeffe painting! Marvelous. Thanks for the education and the inspiration!

K M F said...

Wounderfull

Juhi said...

Beautiful pictures of beautiful flowers. great work there. do take a look at my blg sometime http://travelnlife.blogspot.com/

Annie in Austin said...

I looked up the 'Republic of Texas' rose at the Antique Rose Emporium and it's very tempting!

Texas weather isn't favorable for many of the large flowered hybrids, DFP - a smaller, tougher rose may have a better chance of survival, although some yellow roses like 'Mermaid' and 'Ladybanks' can take over your garden here!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Kusum said...

Very good blog about flowers and plants. Great pictures of beautiful flowers.

I had been to Mendocino Botanical Gardens lately and felt it is very different experience photographing flowers. http://flickr.com/photos/kusum/sets/72157602374517037/

Digital Flower Pictures said...

So the Texans, misti and annie, have set me straight on the 'Republic of Texas' rose on both a cultural and horticultural basis.

Sandy, thanks that is quite a compliment. I have been to the O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe, NM and thought her flowers were fantastic.

kasum and juhi I will take a look at your spots on the net. My brother used to live in Mendocino and I used to visit for extended periods. What a great climate for growing!

lv2scpbk and kmf, thanks for visiting.

David (Snappy) said...

Beautiful Roses!How people cant have at least one rose in the garden is a mystery to me.How do you remember the names of the pictures you have taken?At Harlow Carr I searched for plant labels and wrote them in order.Then tried to work out which was which.Like writing Lady Emma Hamilton Peach.
The images were then matched to my crumpled piece of paper with pencil writing.Only I can read my own notes!
Will be interested in how you keep track of what you photograph!
Have a good weekend!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi snappy, I have found that bringing a little bit of extra memory and shooting a picture of the label is the best way to keep track of the names. I was writing them down on a crumpled, often wet piece of paper but found that was very difficult to use for later reference. Now the sign picture is there with the downloaded photos and I don't have to remember each item.

I am lucky that I know a lot of plant names but I am interested for this space and my general knowledge to keep the cultivar names straight.

Thanks for visiting.