Monday, July 21, 2008

Black Daylily

Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Kathryn’s Black
(hem-er-oh-KAL-iss)

On Saturday while wondering around Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, New York I almost groaned at the sight of the Daylily Garden. I have been taking so many daylily pictures that I really didn’t want to take anymore. Having thought that I said to myself, well maybe, if they have something extraordinary I’ll take a couple of pictures. Of course they had many stunning cultivars. Here are three, the only one that is named is the deep red almost black one and I am not sure if that is right. The only reference on the net was on a cultivar list but no other matches came up. It is rare that plant stumps Google.


The first picture of ‘Kathryn’s Black’ is with the 24/1.8 Sigma lens and the second is the with the 60mm Nikon micro lens. The close up doesn’t do the color justice. The far shot shows how dark it looked from a few feet away. I am happy with these pics as the weather was not cooperating. It was in the high 90’s F with humidity and a hot, dry and dusty wind. The problem with taking pictures with those conditions is some of the flowers and plants don’t look their freshest. The Daylilies didn’t seem to mind.


This yellow one had huge flowers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We stumbled on a variegated daylily a few weeks ago and it was an impulse *have to have* buy. I love it though!

Ryanne said...

I love the black, so very beautiful.

maryt/theteach said...

DF, lovely day lilies and you were at the Planting Fields Arboretum... I've been there. I live about an hour away! :)

Indrani said...

I liked the black red one very much, it is rare kind.

TorAa said...

I'm really excited by your detailed flower pictures