Monday, July 21, 2008

Dahlia ‘Hollyhill Joker’s Wild’


DahliaHollyhill Joker’s Wild

This Dahlia was quite unusual as there several different flowers on each plant. Some were all red, some were almost all white and there were a couple like this one with a few white petals. What will they think of next!

Dahlia enthusiasts take the naming and classification of the plants very seriously. With over 40,000 different cultivars trying to keep them straight must be a big job. The stakes at the garden had tags with the names, size, form and color classifications on them.

The tag for ‘Joker’s Wild’ read like this:

BB ID Bi R/W

BB is the size of the flower. It stands for Small, 4 to 6 inches across. The top grade is AA, which stands for Giant, 10 inches plus.

ID stands for Informal Decorative, which is one of the 19 forms recognized as classes.

Bi R/W is the color. Bi-colored Red and White. There are 15 different colors and combinations that are recognized by the American Dahlia Society.

Happy Ruby Tuesday. To see some other red things check out the Ruby Tuesday HQ at the teach’s blog .

18 comments:

RW said...

Awesome ♦Ruby Tuesday♦!

What a great name for a cool flower!

Mines up ♦Ruby Sunrise♦ click here!

EG CameraGirl said...

What a beautiful dahlia!

me ann my camera said...

This is a very beautiful flower!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my what a beautiful dahlia!!

Your Pal Pinki said...

What a flower!

Raven said...

Gorgeous flower. As usual, I love scrolling down the page. The elephant ear shot is incredibly beautiful, just a magical shot.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this dahlia before. I like the idea of different-looking flowers blooming on one plant. The one you show here is lovely. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Never have I seen a dahlia of this colour and even the actual shape looks a little different! Exquisite!

Dianne said...

"what will they think of next" - made me laugh :)

beautiful flower and such an incredible contrast to the stunning B&W daisy above it

maryt/theteach said...

DF, a gorgeous dahlia. I've seen only plain ones. (How dare I call them plain!) But thanks for the lesson. You're "the teach" when it comes to flowers and horticulture! :)

Carletta said...

This is gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing it with us and the info too.

Ladynred said...

Just gorgeous Dahlia! love the color...
Home and Garden

Unknown said...

That is so beautiful! Great Red

Karen Coutu said...

What a lovely explosion of red!

Tink *~*~* said...

WOW! I've never seen that type of dahlia before. It's beautiful!

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

sandyland said...

how very very unusual..sk

Anonymous said...

That is Seriously gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I am waiting for one of my Dahlias to open up.... Promise to take a photo when it does! With my new camera!!