Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tropical Combination



Persian Shield
Strobilanthes dyerianus

Fancy-leafed Caladium
Caladium bicolor 'Carolyn Wharton'
(ka-LAY-dee-um)
Synonyms: Angel Wings, Heart of Jesus

Brazilian Plume
Justicia carnea
(jus-TEE-see-ah)
Synonyms: Flamingo Flower, Jacobinia, Pine-Bur Begonia

I have been working on taking group photos of plants a little bit this summer. The way plants combine in plantings has been a subject of fascination to me. Taking pictures of those combinations of not just flowers but foliage and textures has become a challenge. This was one of the results. It is a lot different than taking a macro shot and trying to isolate the subject. This group was in the Main Greenhouse at Planting Fields Arboretum and it really worked when viewed in person. It was difficult to compose this with none of the plant identification signs in view but I finally figured it out.

This one is from Planting Fields, too. It has a different Caladium and Zebra Plant (Aphelandra squarrosa. I think).

The ‘Puppy Express’ trip to North Carolina went well. We brought back two pups and the people are coming to pick up their dog from Massachusetts today. It will be a shame to break the two of them up since they are just crazy about playing with each other. More on the new dog later this week.

8 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Very lovely....

I'm excited to hear about your new pup!!

Anonymous said...

I have these flowers and foliage definitely we are getting ready for a caladium festival in Lake Placid. What is new pups name ?/What part of N/ C./

Priscilla George said...

I think you are doing great. I too have a hard time with taking wider shots. Glad to here about your puppy can't wait to see pictures of her. Are you still getting in the girl. I'm not sure why but when I think about your Siberian husky puppy I keep on thinking of the name Bella. Don't worry about having the siblings split up, it is hard but they do okay afterwords. We felt the same way when we got our puppy a few weeks ago but he will get to see them all when he is 4 months.

Marie Louise said...

I am just discovering your blog - I'm in CT as well and have a few photos of my flowers there. Particularly like the red & white dahlia a few posts back. Will have to look for it myself!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks to all.

I picked up the dog in Kernersville, NC which is right outside of High Point. I am going to put some pictures up and reveal the name tomorrow.

Indrani said...

I have a slightly different caladium in my balcony garden.

Muum said...

nice combos. I am trying to find good plant combinations, or at least combinations that don't make me cringe in my yard!

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Caladiums, and we have several varieties in our garden in Hawaii, including the two you have pictured here. (Ours are in pots, nestled in a bed of Coleus.) I love the composition of both of these photos.