Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rose Mallow

Rose Mallow
Lavatera trimestris
Synonyms: Annual Mallow
(lav-uh-TEER-uh) (try-MES-tris)

I actually posted this flower in the first couple of weeks this blog was around, I didn’t know it at the time but it is Lavatera trimestris. This one was growing up in Maine in a garden outside Governor’s Restaurant in Presque Isle. It is a very elegant annual that grows to about 2 feet high. As much as I love Hollyhocks I would rather have these. This spring I kept my eyes open for them but not a single nursery had them for sale. Of course we shop mainly at the large wholesale places and sometimes they are not the most creative stock wise. I have read they grow easily from seed so maybe that is the way to go. This was one of the first flower pictures I took with the 24mm lens.

This tractor picture is from Maine. We are busy puppy proofing our house. The little girl gets picked up Saturday at noon in Kernersville, North Carolina.


Thanks to everyone who visited and commented over the last couple of days.

6 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Thanks for stopping by my flower blog. :o)

What kind of puppy did you get? :-D

I don't think I have ever seen a flower like that around here (Iowa). I may have to find seeds and give them a try next season. :o)

Digital Flower Pictures said...

It is a wonderful flower that self seeds enough to have a few but not too much from my reading up about it. My main mission for next year is to find some and grow it.

Siberian Husky, of course :lol:

Both my wife and I love the breed.

John Theberge said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, you have some very nice photos here also.

Anonymous said...

BeaiTiFul Pictures!!!

I can't help but LOVE the tractor one....it reminds me of when I was little and we lived on a farm and so did my grandparents.....

i used to get to ride the tractor sometimes....

aaahhh...those were the days....

TorAa said...

I ponder wether or not we can find these beautiful flower here in Southern Norway. I hope so, since they seems to grow easely in Maine.
Excellent Photo.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I almost didn't post the tractor picture but I am glad I did, merrianne. I used to drive a tractor myself when I was a kid.

toraa, I hope you can find them. It would worth the effort.