Saturday, July 05, 2008

Exotic Fusion Impatiens ‘Brilliance’

Exotic Fusion Impatiens ‘Brilliance’
Impatiens hybridaBrilliance
(im-PAY-shuns) (hy-BRID-uh)

Yesterday we went down to the New York Botanical Garden. Amid the really flat gray skies and raindrops I was able to grab a couple of good pictures. The garden was in fine shape and not too crowded. The Daylily collection was just starting to bloom and the range of flowers was stunning. Truly heaven for a Daylily lover. There had to be at least 100 cultivars blooming. Daylilies are a difficult flower to photograph for me but I tried anyway.

These Impatiens have done well in the garden the last two years. There is a whole series of Fusion Impatiens now and this one is nice but I think the darker shades are a little more appealing. Hopefully soon the price will come down when more people start growing them and offering it for sale. Culture is the same as for regular Impatiens.

The new lens seemed to do pretty well yesterday. I was changing it between the 60mm in every garden I visited. The 24mm focuses well and has good color rendition. It is still going to take a little getting used to. The main thing is learning the minimum focusing distance. The weather is not cooperating for picture taking around here. I wanted to go out again today but it is drizzly and foggy with more showers and thunderstorms forecasted for today and tomorrow.

This is one of the Daylilies from the Daffodil and Daylily Walk at the NYBG. I have copied the planting of these two plants together several times on a smaller scale. The Daylilies help hide the dying Daffodil foliage. This cultivar is called ‘Hot Wire’ and I loved the orange, red and yellow shading. The flower size was good, also. Shot with the 60mm macro lens.

3 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I'm growing Fusion impatiens for the first time this year, and I love them. They were indeed a bit pricey, but as a focal point, they're doing their job and visitors are drawn to them, asking what they are.

Anonymous said...

I love coming here and learning about flowers. I took some comfort in reading that you have a hard time with daylillies...my pictures of them never turn out quite the way I think they will. Strange since they seem to be such photogenic subjects. The one you have on this post is a good one!

i beati said...

I have never seen this impatiens infusium before where was this ???

oranges on lilies and roses so pronounced